high heat and smoke wood quantity

Chris E

TVWBB Pro
I've done the HH brisket with success and trying the HH pork butt now.

For the butt I have 4 fist size chunks of cherry/apple in there and it seems like a LOT of billowing smoke compared to what I normally see going low and slow.

I'm guessing the higher heat is consuming the wood faster. Is it because the meat is in the smoke for only 3-4 hours then foil that this is Ok?

I've read that if you put too much smoke wood on the fire it would leave a bitter taste.

Thoughts?

Hmm. Maybe someone who does HH butt will chime in - I don't - but that seems like a lot to me. Me, I never use fist-sized chunks. I always hatchet chunks of that size into 5 or 6 pieces each. Were I to do a butt HH I think I'd go with 10-12, or about 2 chunks worth.

Again, maybe another member can better help. But I would be tempted to remove a couple or three chunks.

I think I'll go pull a couple of the chunks.

The championship injection pork butt recipe in the cooking section says 5 fist size chunks of apple.

thanks for the quick response.

I have done high and low heat smokes (chicken, pork butts, brisket). Always used fist or so sized chunks (cherry, pecan, oak, hickory, mesquite) with great results. Simple and consistent.

Chris.
I usually do butts at high or higher heat.300-350. I read Kevin's tip on splitting the chunks up awhile back, and I like the results( Thanks Kevin!)
Here's a pic of a recent one with two 2"x3" chunks split into smaller pcs.

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris E:
How many fist sized chunks to you use in the WSM? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I usually do 4 or 5 fist sized chunks. With the Minion Method and the chunks spread throught the charcoal, I get a nice flavor whether oak, hickory, apple, pecan, mesquite.

Hope this helps.

Back