hickory versus maple

John Noble

TVWBB Member
Just bought a bag of hickory chunks from my bbq store.

Oh lord help me, the cost of this stuff. Yikes.

Ok. Question is this. I have two cords of tinder dry maple hard wood, split and ready for my fireplace. Sure would be cheaper to use this supply.

I know the answer is "try it and see if you like it" but I wonder if others have used maple and what their experience was.

Thanks

John N

Hickory is ok for some q's, but I like maple better. Use it for butt's and ribs, it is a strong flavor wood though. Love cherry, apple as well.

We smoked using maple the most when i lived in the upper peninsula of Michigan.Our woodpile was mostly maple as well.Living in houston now and have been using red oak only because it was from neighboring trees felled by hurricane Ike.Also use mesquite,pecan,when i can scavenge that as well.And i will bring a good supply of maple to smoke with next time i get up there with my truck-smoked salmon smoked with maple tastes great and brings back memories....... i'm quite sure you will enjoy the flavor....

I have maple chunks in my stockpile that I use for pork and red meat. I love the smell of maple smoke and the flavor it provides; always makes me relaxed when I first get my OTS smoking and get a whiff of that amazing aroma (also with a top-notch beer at my side). It adds a lot of goodness to pork ribs, for sure!

Barret

Here in the Pacific Northwest I use maple, apple and alder since they are readily available for the hauling. Haven't used hickory since I am too cheap to buy some.

I find that Maple is great for Turkey, a bit on the "light" side, of a smoke taste in meat, in general. It's good stuff though. Good for fish too!!!!

I use maple from my bush all the time and love it. Make sure it is well dried before using it though.I dry mine 6-12 months inside the garage before using.

Back