HH Chicken - Getting the WSM to Temp

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

I picked up some interesting spice combinations from Silk Road and want to do a few high heat chickens. I've had problems in the past getting above 300F. Last time I used the standard method and was stuck at 275F, empty pan (Toronto winter, 20F). I'm thinking I might just double up the lit this time but any tips would be appreciated. I don't have much experience HH.

All vents 100%.

If I am using the whole chicken, I splatchcock it and often halve them after splatchcocking. I appreciate the even cooking. I place the chickens in such a manner on the grate that the breasts are in the center and the legs are near the outside (where it is hottest). These are relatively short cooks at 325-350 degrees.

I just dump a full lit chimney in my 18.5 charcoal ring with the vents wide open. I have no problems, to date, with running out of fuel.

I do chicken parts the same way. It's not a bad idea to finish up the chickens or parts by removing the barrel and putting the cooking grate over the firebox and "charring" the skin to crisp it up. Keep a close eye on this as it will only take a minute or two per side. You do NOT want to burn your carefully prepared and cooked chicken.

As a final note, I believe STRONGLY in brining chicken. I use a simple salt water brine and brine parts for about thirty minutes and chickens about one hour. Pat the meat dry and apply a bit of olive oil then the rub and cook as above.

I like applewood smoke with poultry and kind of go light with it.

FWIW
Keep on smokin'.
Dale53:wsm:

In colder temps I use 2 chimneys full lit to get to 325-350. If I am doing a longer cook like turkey I will fill the rest of the ring with unlit charcoal. I use a mixture of lump and kbb for high heat plus some sustainability. I too propped the lid open, until I added my second lid vent this winter.

Thanks all. I'm going with a chimney of lit, another of not and another of lit (like a sandwich). If I can't get to temp I'm just going to let the birds get an hour of smoke then finish them in the oven. I have a south African citrus spice rub that's begging for a smoked chicken.

What size WSM? When I go High Heat (turkey) I add unlit followed by a chimney of lit. On the 22, no problem hitting 350 degrees. On the 18, no problem hitting 400 degrees. Are you measuring temps via the lid thermo or something else like a Maverick? I ask that because here's what mine says... (during a butt cook)

2F86D42D-7C72-4947-9C25-498E8E9F6CA1-567-000000357165E7A4_zps0c848aa3.jpg

Yep, crack the lid or prop the door like Dwain said/wrote.
And check the temp in another area like Chad said/wrote.
I use a cheap turkey fryer therm in the top vent, and that reads a lot higher than a dome mounted one.
Tim

Ah yes, the dreaded rounded opening. I have this on my 22 and hate the fact I can't flip the door. Probably the easiest thing is to offset your lid just a little bit so you don't let too much smoke out, but you do increase your airflow some. For my 22, I am either going to square up the opening so I can flip the lid, or I may just add another vent in the lid that I can open for more airflow for when I want to do higher heat.

Good luck,
Kg

I highly recommend the 2nd lid vent. I added one to my 18.5" and this past weekend I used 2 chimneys full of lump to smoke some chicken pieces. I was able to run at 325 for the duration with both vents open and the door shut. It was inside my windbreak but the outside temp was in the low 20's.i'm sure once it warms up a bit I will be able to run 350+ with everything wide open.

If not I have 2 more vents I can add lol.

Yep^^^^ I simply mentioned my 26.75" OTG earlier, but a kettle is a much better way to go for crisp poultry skin. So I guess the only suggestion I'd make for HH chicken on a wsm is WITHOUT THE PAN. (Just remember to flip 'em!) I've got extra top vents in both of my bullets, but I still find HH cooking in them an inefficient and uncertain use of charcoal, as well as an inconsistent cooking method when you have a full cooker.

Back