Hey, Raichlen is cooking a brisket in a foil pan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Z

TVWBB Guru
He's using a WSM, yay, but has surprised me by putting his brisket in a foil pan. He had a 6 lb flat, and topped it with a few strips of bacon. And he wants you to cook it at 275.

He's slicing it now---gorgeous, deep smoke ring. And you should see all the pan juices.

Ok...anyone here try a brisket in a pan before? I know there are folks who use foiler, but this is really just a weber drip pan. Anyone?

Jeez---I might have to try it, even if it offends my purist attitude..!

Watching BBQ-U, btw. Show 211 - What's Your Beef?

In this episode he shares a number of different recipes from places around the world where beef is the pitmaster's meat of choice: the Uruguayan rolled stuffed flank steak dish called Matambre, meaning "hunger killer"; Espetada, skewered Beef and Bay Leaf Kebabs from the island of Madeira; and a recipe he created that marries Chinese spices and America "dinosaur" ribs. Also, GrillCam provides a never-seen-before view of real Texas brisket cooking, with a time-lapse look at the delicious transformation of beef cooked for 8 hours over a low, slow fire.

www.bbqu.net

I'd really like to see that GrillCam in action. I've never noticed that show on around here. What network is it on where you live?

Jeff

Generally, this airs on public television stations in the US. For you, that would probably be KUED/7, although the bbqu web site doesn't say what time. Check your local listings.

Thanks Chet,
I guess I'll have to start checking the PBS schedule.
Update: they apparently don't air that show around here. I am going to send a request to the station.

Drat,

The episode they showed here was on grilling veggies and tofu. Artichokes, asparagus, snow peas, mushrooms, stuffed bell peppers, and even okra I can understand. But tofu?!?!?

There was a WSM smokin' away in the background. I wonder what episode they were preparing for?

Suzan - I watched that episode today. What stumped me was how he managed to get such a deep smoke ring on the BOTTOM of the brisket, when it was in the pan. I would have expected no smoke ring there since smoke didn't come in contact with the bottom of the brisket.

Yeah, and I rewound it after reading the description of the episode and there is NO TIME LAPSE GRILL-CAM action that I can see.

Wonder how he really DID get that gigantic smoke ring?

Don't tell me Raichlen's a FRAUD!! Sniff sniff

CHET--- you are one episode behind, so next week you should get the puzzling brisket episode.

I'm going to watch it again to figure out what's going on, if humanly possible.

Also, earlier in the episode, wasn't he loading a bunch of wood into an offset smoker? I was surprised (and pleased) to see him put it on the WSM. But I'm puzzled.

I'm trying to remember how he did brisket last season. I think there was a brisket episode, but I'm not totally sure.

Ok, just watched it again. Definitely a huge smoke ring, but he was cutting sort of a pointy part of the flat, and the more he cut into the big part of the brisket, the more the smoke ring looked a more reasonable size.

I guess maybe he flipped the brisket over without telling us, at some point? And....WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BACON HE PUT ON TOP??? It's gone!

Hmmm.

As you know well, there are a lot of smoke and mirrors on the tube.

Yeah, but where's the grill cam time lapse brisket cook?? (I wrote the director to ask what gives. What a pest!)

Also, Chet, you are TWO episodes behind! The lamb one should be next for you (if you are really two behind) but it's a tasty one.

Man, I'm watching it again and am CRAVING dinosaur ribs!

My first brisket was out of Raichlen's book on my kettle in a foil pan.. It was awesome. I only did one and found the site within weeks of the cook. I bought a wsm 3 weeks after that....... So needless to say the kettle grates get a little rusty. The Brisky was good, However I do not remember how to compare it too the Midnight brisket, as you could never do a midnight cook on a kettle.

Raichlen has some great books, and probably has been successful with what a lot of us wish we would have done.

His recipe for North carolina Vinegar pulled pork sauce is out of this world.

Any way around here the flats are more expensive per pound than the entire brisket. 2.69/lb for a flat and 1.19 for a whole

Susan,

You're right. According to Tivo (personal video recorders are great), the next broadcast is lamb. I'm going to have to wait for at least two weeks to uncover the mysteries of Raichlen's brisket in a pan. The unusual bit is that I normally get several months worth of recording schedule. This time, I only got a week or so.

Chet

I'll have to watch the lamb episode again, but from what I recall, I was all fired up to try some of the recipes after that show...!

Wonder why you guys are 2 weeks behind. Fundraising on your station, maybe?

Butts or briskets done in a pan are quite common in competition - evidently more so than I thought. I helped out a bit with a competitor last weekend - she did two butts and two briskets in a Fast Eddy FE100 pellet muncher, and each of these was sitting on top of a rack (like a cookie-cooling rack) in a stainless steel sheet pan. Seems to work great, as she placed 7th in pork.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Matt Goin,

Cool avatar, but you need to choose one that's under 10K. Yours is over 20K. Smaller size makes life better for those on dialup connections.

Regards,
Chris

I think I might actually try it next time, cuz that thing was sitting in a world of juice at the end (tho he took it out of the pan when he let the meat rest). Maybe it was a world of fat. Whatever it was, it sure looked good, and I'm pretty curious.

Good excuse to make a brisket!

Folks.....

There are lots of ways to make a smokering! A simple rubbing of Tender Quick will produce a beautiful ring.

I smoke things in foil pans all the time. Here is a pic of a chuck roast cook.......

Pot_Roast_finished.jpg

I missed the episode but called a friend to tape it. Last years series seemed to be based on how to grill and this years out of BBQ Bible. I was hoping this years would be out of BBQ USA but maybe thats too confusing because a competeing show on PBS is called BBQ America - I 'm just guessing or that is what next years shows will be based on??

In Milwaukee we have two PBS stations and it is relegated to the smaller of the two on saturday afternoons. It is important if you like this programming to call your program directors at your local PBS affiliate and let them know that as its tough for ta show like this to get on and stay on.

I ove how they have that WSM bilowing in the background.

He's got soooo many recipes in each book that he could do nearly ENDLESS series out of each one. You're right that they did switch books this time, and it worked, since as soon as it started I ponied up the money to buy the bbq bible. Of course, it turned out I had already bought it once, d'oh!, but now I keep it in my car just in case a need to bbq breaks out...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back