Help with Pulled Pork Math

Dennis T.

TVWBB Super Fan
I have been asked to prepare pulled pork for a neighborhood party this weekend. The guest total is 20-25 adults and 11-12 kids. There will be hotdogs for the kids, so my inclination is to base how much I smoke on the adults attending.

I've reviewed the serving recommendations on this site and keep seeing 4-6 ounces per sandwich.

25 people x 6 ounces = 150 ounces or 9.4 pounds.

Assuming a 50% yield of smoked meat from the uncooked butt, I need 18.8 pounds of raw meat.

Does that sound reasonable? I've always done just two butts on the top grate, so I'd like to get by with just two ... but I don't want to short the guests.

Thoughts?

It sounds reasonable as long as each adult only has 1 sandwich. What size butts do you usually get? Boneless butts around my neck of the woods are typically 6-8lbs. If you get 8lbers I would do 3 since it's better to have a little extra than not enough. Plus the kids might want some.

If your cooking on a WSM you should have no trouble getting all three on the top rack.

I've always bought my butts at Sams ... 2 to a pack. 4 seems like too much ... 2 too tight.

Maybe I should do 4 and freeze the leftovers.

No idea what Sams butts are like but I would do the 4. Like I said better to much than to little. You probably wouldn't have trouble getting people to take some home if you didn't want all the left overs.

I did a cook for an office group that required 64 chicken thighs and 16lbs of shredded beef. Due to bad weather only 1/2 the people showed. Since I was paid to do the cook I left all the left overs there and by the end of the day there wasn't a scrap left in the fridge.

6 oz. is about average, but with all you can eat buffets, people eat more and some want to take some home. Don't assume kids won't eat pulled pork.

I would plan for 6-8 oz. cooked per person regardless of kids or adults and have hot dogs as extras and 2-3 sides.

I would do 4 boneless butts assuming 7 lbs avg.

For parties or vending, I always do 4 oz sandwich. A 1/4 lb of pork is a nice size sandwich. Some people will eat 2 of them, so I always cook a little extra.

I normally get a 50% yield. Sometime it's slightly higher, but I always plan on 50%. Again, extra is better when it comes to pork.

You could always get 2x 2 packs, and freeze one of the butts in the 2nd 2 pack. Or cut it up into pork steaks and freeze for later.

Or cook all 4 and freeze the leftovers, which is the easiest way to play it safe.

Thanks for the input. It looks like I was on the right track. I used 6 oz per person to allow for 4 oz sandwiches ... some one sandwich ... others two.

Can three 8-9 lb. butts fit on the top grate (18" WSM) or would I be better off placing one on the lower grate?

Also, do butts freeze well? (Boy, that's a straight line if I ever heard one!)

When I cook for groups, I use 2 lb uncooked for every 3 people. As for 3 butts on the top grate, they will fit fine if you stand them on their ends.

I find a butt is good for about 20 nice sandwiches. Remember that since folks are walking around they don't want meat falling out the sides. Also, as mentioned, a lot of kids like pulled pork if the rub is not too hot.

I would make 4 butts on two racks, and hope you get some to vac and take home.

Back