Help with planning

Shaun H

TVWBB Fan
I have a very short window next Sunday to do some cooking, between church and Superbowl party.

I was thinking about doing wings/fatties for my contribution to the party.

1) I have never done wings before on the smoker, so this will be a first. I was thinking that at 300 it might take 2 hours to finish? Is this about right? Any experience?

2) With the fatties, I've only done 225-250 range, in the past. But obviously if I'm doing the wings at 300, I want to cook the fatties right along with them, so how long do you think it would take for the fatty to finish at 300? Maybe around the same time?

Anyways, I'm trying to do both of these, as I think they both will fit the small window of time I will have, and am hoping for any experience/advice on how to best approach this.

Thanks.

You could start the fatty while the smoker is coming up to temp for the wings, but I'd keep an eye on it as it gets hot. You might have to pull it then put back on to warm up at the end. Just be sure to check the internal temperature to make sure it's cooked through with the high heat.

I'd say around an hour to cook the wings at 300 with the waterpan removed. Here's how I do it:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?37380-WSM-Buffalo-Wings-in-6-Easy-Steps&highlight=Wings

Last edited:
I did a fatty on the kettle at 300 a couple of weeks ago. It took about 1-1/2 hours to reach 160 degrees. The chopped veggies inside were all nicely cooked, and it was delicious! :D

Back