Help with HM and Keg? Dale/Andy

Did you get the ash basket they sell for the Keg?
I have one but never use it for long cooks.
I use it when doing steaks, put my lump fines in it to use them up.

Kick ash basket looks interesting, but a little pricey. I might buy it if it was half that price.

Was your +- 1 degree with my PID settings?

Last edited:
I have never heard of the Kick Ash basket until this thread, but I would love one for my Big Green Egg. I kind of agree with Dale, I'd order one right now if it was more like $30ish, but as it stands I'm fighting back and forth. I'm either going to put it on my birthday wish list for September, or just buy it and say to heck with it.

OJMOQ6p.jpg

I found this on amazon http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007760X6G/tvwb-20
it works good, but have not used it much for low and slow
Got mine as used $12.00 on amazon was brand new must have been returned box was a little beat up.

Last edited:
That basket is a lot smaller, basically the size of the bottom grate. The KAB-15HD has the same dome shape as the keg firebowl, so it fills the entire bowl up past the air holes. The lump is then held off the surface of the firebowl the thickness of the metal rod plus a little. You can fill it right up enough for a 24hr+ cook.

I've heard nothing but good things about the kick ash on the BKK forum, but I'm not dropping $60+ for a wire basket. Keg works well enough as-is.

Back