Help With Butts!!!

Doug KC

TVWBB Fan
Okay I put 3 butts on last night at 11:45 pm CST. Due to my lack of experience I had a hard time keeping it below 250 and it hit 280 a couple of times. I know, Yikes! Anyway it's 9:00 am and they are all done! They are all at 195. People aren't coming over until 7:00pm tonight. I have them double wrapped in heavy duty foil and towels and they are in a cooler. How long should/can I leave them in there? If I have to reheat, which I'm assuming I'm going to have to do, what's the best way to do it?

If I would have been able to keep it at 230-240 would it have added a lot more time to the smoke?

Thanks so much!!!

Still learning
icon_confused.gif

Doug

Doug,

If i was in your situation, I'd pull them after they had rested 1 or 2 hours. I'd put them in pans and into the fridge. For warming them up tonight, you have two choices, croc pot or in the oven. Either will work fine. I'd likely use the crock pot, adding about 1/2 cup of apple juice mixed with about 1/8 cup of cider vinegar and some additional pork rub. Be a good idea to add some liquid to the oven heated stuff too.

Don't let this be a stressor. Just calmly tell your guests you toiled through the night. I'm sure they'll love it!

on edit - it takes about 45 mins heat in croc pot on high, about the same in oven at 300.

I agree with Joe, except I would probably allow about a 3 hour rest, then pull and I would store the pulled pork in zip lock freezer bags in the frig with as much air removed as possible till I was ready to reheat.

Another option for reheating is in the microwave at a low setting. Do a plate full at a time for 1 minute spurts, checking at each interval to see how its heating up. Probably takes about 3 minutes a batch this way.

Paul

I have done the same thing more than once. I have let the butts rest in a cooler up to 4 hours before as long as the meat stays above 140 degrees. Then in the fridge until needed, reheated in the oven @ 250 - 300 worked out good for me. Another time I still had the WSM fired up cooking other things so I just reheated the butts on the WSM for a couple hours wrapped up at a low temp around 200 and that worked good too.

You will be fine and turn out some good pork.

Randy

Thanks for the advice guys! I appreciate it! Randy, when you keep it warm in the WSM do you wrap it or not?

Doug,

Yes I keep it wrapped up. I think it helps get it hot guicker but now that I think about it I guess it would depend on the bark, if it's not dark and crispy enough you could unwrap it I guess but I haven't tried that.

Randy

Back