Help with Brisket

Good day EH!

I going to try Brisket for the frist time!
Do you bring the internal temp to 180, then wrap
in foil place back on the smoker to 200???
Just like doing a chuck roast, or do you let it sit until 200 take it off and let it rest for 30 min.?

Cheers

I have had great results following Jim Minion's advice to take it to 185°, and then wrap in foil and rest in a dry cooler for a couple hours. I think the method you suggest would end up with a pot roast-like result as, typically, foiling and replacing in the cooker would be done further in advance of the target temp.

I just go for about the middle, and try to keep the thin end away from the edge of the grate. Actually, I try to purchase flats in cryovac that aren't too thin at the thin end. You have to watch-- sometimes a really thin end is folded over, making it appear thicker than it is.

Not sure whose advice it was...my first mini flat-4lbs-I took to 160*, double foiled, returned to wsm till 205*
It seemed great.

Is the 185, wrap and, hold the preferred method?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S Petrone:
Not sure whose advice it was...my first mini flat-4lbs-I took to 160*, double foiled, returned to wsm till 205*
It seemed great.

Is the 185, wrap and, hold the preferred method? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Taking the brisket to an internal temp of 185 and allowing to rest will give you a sliceable and very tender piece of meat. If you foil and continue to cook you will end up with the "pot roast" result Doug is referring to, and will fall apart as you slice it. Either way is fine depending on your preference. I prefer the sliceable version that will easily pull apart but not fall apart.

You are right. By going to 205, the meat was sliceable but could easily fall apart. As far as 'pot roast' is concerned...being my first effort with brisket, I was very pleased.
The next effort, I will take your suggestion. If it tastes much better, I will quit doing butt! Thanks for the feedback.

Back