HELP! Ran out of wood chunks

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

I've got a 13lb packer ready for pick up tomorrow and just realized I'm completely out of wood chunks and can't get any in my area for tomorrow night's WSM cook. I do have a bunch of wood chips though. I'm thinking that I'm going to soak a bunch of chips and then place them in piles throughout and on top of the coal. Does anyone have other ideas?

Wrap chips in foil so they last longer. If you don't use water in pan, place foiled chips in water pan.

I obviously don't know your location or plans, but I'd think there are lots of places you could pop out to for chunks.

The big BBQ store in Vaughan will definitely have any kind of wood that you're looking for (time permitting).

Chips will give some smoke for sure, but need more babysitting than chunks. As mentioned above, soak in water, wrap in foil, stab with a fork a couple times and you're good to go.

Layer the chips with the coals like making a Lasagna. That's a tip I read here and it works pretty good when all you have is chips.
I wouldn't soak them, just add dry.

Tim

Thanks All. Walmart, Crappy Tire, Home Hardware etc... don't have chunks. They carry chips. They may get some during peak BBQ season but they're few and far between. Even Ontario Gas BBQ (the big one in Vaughan) is sketchy on chunks. They open at 9am my time so I'm going to give them a call and take what I can get if they have anything.

Look through yours or a neighbors wood pile. (Unless you live in the city) look on the side of the road for fallen branches or brush piles. If you live in the city, it may be a little more difficult to find, but in rural areas, there's tons of great wood laying around, We just have to look a little out of the box to see it.
Good luck,
Tim

Gotta know soaking in water is a waste of time. They absorb virtually nothing in the time frames we use.

Ontario Gas BBQ had a stock of the Weber bags so I got hickory and cherry. Beggars can't be choosers but the Weber bags are more half chunk, half chips. Did fine in a pinch. I just ordered my restock from Smokinlicious. The 2 Canadian Tires near me had no chunks. The person at Walmart didn't know what I was talking about. Home Depot had them as a special order item. Lowe's had 54 bags of Hickory lol.

Brisket went on at 1am EST and is at 150F at 8:10 EST. I'm about to foil and wait for a late lunch.

Back