HELP! Prime rib cooking WAY too fast!

Jamie Mathews

TVWBB Member
I have a 16 pound, bone in, rib roast. Sedveral recipes here said to figure cooking time of around 20 minutes a pound with dome temp of about 350 - 375. I'm pretty good at math, so I figure abit more than 5 hours.

I told my family that food would be served at 2 PM today. I got my 26.75 inch kettle locked in at a dome temp of 350, my probe thermometer said grate temp was 315. Temp in ,middle of roast when I put it on, was 48 degrees.

It's just about 11 AM, been cooking for 2.5 hours, grill temp has not fluctuated more than 10 degrees. My internal roast temp is already 114 degrees. At this rate, I'll be taking this thing off more than 2 hours before mealtime.

Any advice? Do I still take it off as planned, at internal temp of 120? How do I keep it warm for 2 hours without cooking further? And for future education, why did this thing cook in half the time? I live in Connecticut, it's no warmer than 35 degrees outside, I don't live on the equator.

Hope I don't ruin this thing...

It's probably 20 minutes a pound for a 6-7 pound roast, less for a 16 pound roast. I would cook it to your finished internal temp and then wrap in a couple of layers of aluminum foil, then in a couple of old bath towels and hold it in an empty ice chest until ready to slice and serve.

Regards,
Chris

Found this.

(3) Ribs, 7 to 8 lbs. 15 minutes at 450°, Then 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours at 325°

(4) Ribs, 9 to 10 lbs. 15 minutes at 450°, Then 1 ½ to 2 hours at 325°

(5) Ribs, 11 to 13 lbs. 15 minutes at 450°, Then 2 to 2 ½ hours at 325°

(6) Ribs, 14 to 16 lbs. 15 minutes at 450° Then, 2 ¾ to 3 hours at 325°

(7) Ribs, 16 to 18 lbs. 15 minutes at 450° Then, 3 to 3 ¾ hours at 325°

I would Take it of as planned but count in the rest rise in temps. Rest it in foil,Let it cool,Slice up, and grill hot and fast before serving. It will still be as rare as you wanna have it but with some charmarks.

This is a common problem. Weight doesn't really matter.

Remove the roast. Let it sit an hour. Redo your cooker to cook at 300-325. Return the roast and finish it.

Re-seat the meat thermo and test that temp again. When I did my turkey, it showed at the final temp an hour and 15 min in (should have been 2 1/2 hr).

I re-seated it and the temp dropped and the final time was bang on at 2 1/2 hr.

Re-seat it and try again.

Thanks gentlemen! Merry Christmas to all here!!

Wolfgast, some time ago, your wife posted pics of a meal she made. One of the sides was a fancy swirl of mashed potatoes that were golden brown. Looked like she squeezed the mashed potatoes ouf of a pastry tube. I'm wondering how she got them a nice golden brown. If you have a chance, can you ask her? They looked awesome.

Potatoe mash:

boiled potatoes.
butter
Parsley
Garlic
Milk
2 egg yolks
salt/white pepper

And yes spritzed out with a piping bag/pastry tube. On the grill indirect,or in the oven @ 400f. Take em of when you like the color.

Merry Christmas!

You can also pipe your mashed potatoes or simply mound them in portions on a nonstick or parchment-lined sheetpan - or simply place them in an ovenproof serving bowl - then paint the surface with cream. Bake at 350 till the surface browns nicely.

Baking mashed potatoes has the added advantage of driving off some of the moisture resulting in a lighter texture.

Those look great!! I'm gonna have to try that. Thanks for sharing. I especially like the presentation on the plank with the fish. Great.

Back