Help : Estimate cooking time for me - standing rib

Jim Smithson

TVWBB Fan
I will be cooking a standing rib roast...about 12 lbs. I planned on 250F until about 120deg, then crank to 500F for 10-15mins for a crust.

Any ideas how long it will take to get to 120F at 250F? mins/lb or anything? I just dont want to be off by over an hour really. I can estimate once it gets going and can start the side dishes at that point etc.

Any experience or guidelines?

thx

Can someone explain to me why you would cook such a good piece of meat low and slow. It's not like you have to or even want to try and break the fat and colligen down like a brisket or shoulder? Me I do good products high and fast and not so good products low and slow. I do my prime ribs at 325 to 350.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert Oleksak:
Can someone explain to me why you would cook such a good piece of meat low and slow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lower cook temps give you a more uniform level of "done-ness" across the cut of meat.

Higher temps give you more of a range.

Nothing wrong with a higher heat however it's a matter of two things: Evenness in doneness and if one is inclined, smoke time. By cooking at a lower temp the entire roast will achieve an equal level of doneness. If you cook to med-rare, the whole roast will be rare. At a higher temp you will have somewhat uneven cooking resulting in a range of doneness:
If the roast measured 130 in the center, the ends and towards the outside will be warmer. This giving a range from rare to perhaps medium.
Same theory as starting potatoes in cold water or even boiling eggs. By doing so you allow the entire mass to come to an even temp.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ron "Rondo" hanson:
Directly from fridge to WSM @ 250* should be about 2.5 to 3 hrs... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks!! I plan on sitting it for at least 30 mins at room temp. I will plan on 3 hrs and can rest it a bit longer if necessary.

thx

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert Oleksak:
Gotta admit one thing I've been doing this for some time and I learned a new system for cooking beef today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't even begin to list everything I've learned from the fine folks on this site - that's what it's all about!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Smithson:
I plan on sitting it for at least 30 mins at room temp.
thx </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
IMO, let it sit at room temp for 1.5 - 2 hours just before cook starts. Drape a piece of foil or plastic over it to keep it clean. If the roast goes on too cold, it will take longer to cook and the outside will likely be overdone

Jim, please do a follow up post after the cook. I'm curious just how long that 12 pounder is going to take to cook. I would guess it would take closer to 4 hours but I don't have much experience roasting at temps that low.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack Straw:
I would guess it would take closer to 4 hours </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree, At least 4 hrs. I'm doing a 7.5 lb rib roast tomorrow and I'm planning on about 3 hrs. to hit a 120º internal temp. I plan to cook at about 225º. Will finish it in a 550º oven for about 15-20 min when I get to my Sister's house.

thanks everyone

As an update, I put it in a 210F oven at noon after it sat at room temp for 1.5 hrs.

It was 47F at that time.

Now at 2pm, we r up to 82F. Luckily we will eat when the roast is done...everything else is based on it.

I plan on pulling at 123F and resting 45mins while we cook a side dish, then put back in at 500F for 10 mins just prior to eating.

I have never cooked such a large roast. 12 lb, 5 rib. Butcher cut off the bones and tied them back on for cooking.

Unfortunately I cut my finger badly slicing some summer sausage for our hors derves plate (bad spelling). Crap.
icon_mad.gif

I pulled the roast at 123F after 4.5 hrs at 210F.

it rested 45 mins and rose to 135F. PERFECT

we cooked it in a pyrex dish (like a lasagna dish)...well, when making the au jus on the stove, the dish EXPLODED. what a mess. what a day.

However, the roast was awesome.

Jim, glad it turned out. Sorry about the finger.
I also had one of those dishes explode on me, luckily it was in the oven so glass didn't go flying through the house.

Merry Christmas!

Back