Hello All

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
Hi guys. My name is John. While I'm not new to cooking I am a smoking newbie. I'm picking up my new 18.5 Smokey Mountain this weekend and am really excited. I look forward to making some new friends here and any advice you can offer is more that welcome and greatly appreciated.

Welcome John. Best advice I could give is to read a lot of the posts and especially the "white papers" that Chris has on the first page of the site. No one technique is always perfect but they are a good place to start. With a little bit of FUN hard work you will get the hang of it and your family and friends will love you for it. Good Luck!!

Yep. Learn the basics...Minion Method, vent control, don't oversmoke. For a first attempt can't go wrong with a pork butt for a first cook. Pretty forgiving cook and just plain tasty. Welcome aboard!

Welcome john. Everyone has their own methods that work for them. Do your research borrow ideas from others and keep doing what works for you. It is a great hobby!

John, the best advice you could ever get for your new WSM is to read what these guys are doing. I've learned some things on here that make my cooks down right epic.

Back