Heatermeter 4.3 not recognized by pi

Sometimes a solder sucker can suck enough solder through the hole to clear shorts on the other side, or using solder wick with the board sitting in the orientation where gravity will help the flow can work too. At any rate, glad you got it worked out for the OP.

I found a local place that had a solder sucker that heats up. Makes it a simple process to remove any part on the heatermeter, including the lcd. I was able to remove the short, at first but when replied solder that was removed from the holes it shorted again, and then I figured I might as well take the whole thing off and clean it and reply.

Radioshack used to sell a desoldering iron, made of a soldering iron with a hollow tip that has a rubber bulb that you squeeze and release to suck solder off the board, they work pretty good. There are also more sophisticated models that have a foot pedal that activates the suction. Either way, great tools to have at your disposal if you do a lot of repair work.

John, thanks again for the help. Yeah i would have never have found those with what i was doing. I really appreciate you helping me out. Much thanks!

Ralph and Steve, thank you as well!

A hot air rework station helps immensely when removing multi-pin components. You can get solder wick hot enough to brand you 6-8 inches away from the heat source even before you touch the part. My thumb hurts just thinking about it. I don't think I've used the solder sucker since I got one.
I bought a Ayoue combo iron/hot air for the office, but I think they sell the hot-air only version of it for <$100.

Back