Have you made a second tier

Jeff R

TVWBB Pro
I have seen some great photos of people using multiple tiers in thier kettle. When I put a 12" CI in I have little room left for indirect on my 22". Would love to hear what parts you have found I make some additional space. I know many pieces may be non weber. Jim L has a killer setup.

Let's see what you've got and how you made it

thanks for starting this thread....

i was just thinking about the same thing today. personally, i cant make anything, but there is someone on CL here that makes racks for the longer grills and i am wanting to ask him if he has ever made anything for a kettle.

Hey Becky. You rooting for UK. Duck and running
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff R:
Hey Becky. You rooting for UK. Duck and running
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol.... actually im a transplant to this area.... i come from way down south texas, where high school football is a way of life.

i come here to the louisville area and whoa! college basketball and derby! but....

we are a Cards family! my husband is from here and a Cards fan, so of course all children follow suit. i would love for U of L to win this game, but i know that UK is really good.
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif

gotta cheer on the Cards anyway!!!!!!

Jeff, I don't use it very often, but the Weber warming rack is sometimes handy. I've used it for additional wing space and for potato wedges. Don't know if it's available now, though. I had to keep an eye out for it and bought it online some time last year.

i have seen those.... i am thinking of something like that but with more space.... not so much the crescent shape would probably give more room.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
You could buy a Grate Extender or

you could get another kettle on CL for $20 or just invest in a 26'r.
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol....i am always looking for grills on CL...like crazy. havent gotten one yet.... but...gotta keep the faith man!

never seen the extender...does the food get too high with that?

Here's a pic of the second rack that you can purchase with the Smokenator, a means to turn your Weber kettle into a smoker.

readytosmoke.jpg

I don't use this much anymore (I have a WSM now), but it does work well with ribs, chicken parts or anything that is fairly flat. This rack with folding legs gives you another level and adds about 2" of clearance above the grill grate. You should be able to find something that will work in a restaurant supply store. Ask for a steamer pot insert or a steamer basket rack.

I bought two tier adjustable grate. I had one for my ceramic and once he came out for them with the kettle I had to get one. Pricey but I wanted a cast iron grate and this cooks like cast iron and plus I get a second tier. These are great grates.
2011-11-20_16-54-14_624.jpg

You could also just get a grate for the 18.5 and a couple of bricks to hold it up. I used to do that before I had a grate extender.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe S.:
I bought two tier adjustable grate. I had one for my ceramic and once he came out for them with the kettle I had to get one. Pricey but I wanted a cast iron grate and this cooks like cast iron and plus I get a second tier. These are great grates.
2011-11-20_16-54-14_624.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
A cast iron grate wasn't really a priority but that swing out grate is perfect. Who makes that

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
You could also just get a grate for the 18.5 and a couple of bricks to hold it up. I used to do that before I had a grate extender. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like that idea too and thought of making legs for it with four bolts

You could also just get a grate for the 18.5 and a couple of bricks to hold it up. I used to do that before I had a grate extender. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

good idea..... never thought about that... as i am always looking to save as much as i can, i will probably just do this.

only drawback was my first thought was that the bricks would eat up some of the space on the bottom.

I use one of these .
It works on a Kettle or a WSM.
The smaller size works great on my "mini".
quote:
Originally posted by Shaun R:
You could also just get a grate for the 18.5 and a couple of bricks to hold it up. I used to do that before I had a grate extender.

good idea..... never thought about that... as i am always looking to save as much as i can, i will probably just do this.

only drawback was my first thought was that the bricks would eat up some of the space on the bottom.

To save space, Weber charcoal rails work. I can stack several for a large Rib cook on the 18 if I need to.

double warming rack ?
DSCN8954.JPG

single warming rack ?
DSCN5093.JPG

Craycort cast iron quarter warming rack made with stainless bolts ?
DSCN8795.JPG

DSCN5112.JPG

DSCN5279.JPG

***special THANK YOU to Larry Wolfe for the Craycort quarter
Smokey Joe cookin' grate with bolts ?
DSCN4822.JPG

Back