Has anyone seen this?

Steve,

I would say save your money. I have several of these, but I'm finding them not to be too durable. Advice I've been getting is go for the Maverick ET-73. It's about 10 dollars more, but has the nice feature of being remote, so you can put your probes in the meat and cooker, and then go inside with the receiver.

I picked up this model a couple of months ago, and I have used it many times without a problem. However, there is a magnetic strip on the back of the unit, but I don't stick on the lid;rather, I put it on a small table that is next to the WSM

I have two of these and they are both about 2 years old.
I just checked them a week ago when I did a brisket by putting it in boiling water. It was off 3 degrees.
I still use them both. They measure identical when in the smoker. I don't rely on any one temp gauge. I use several different temp gauges at a time. I do like these.
-NOTE: They start to read very incorrectly when the batteries go low. Buy extra batteries. It sucks when you are 12 hours into a cook and the temp gauge reads internal temp 320!! hahah
I pull the batteries when not in use. Before a cook I put the batteries in and hang on the fridge for an hour or two for the temp to settle in. THEN stick in the meat. I find this works most accurately.

Whichever one that you choose, buy it through
Chris's Amazon link to help support this site.

Before purchaseing this item. Search some other sites and look for reviews. I see no written review available. If I would have read the reviews first I never would have bought my first one, I will do some searching to see if I can locate the site I got my from. It lasted 1 cook and went hey wire. Nobody stood by there product so I was out the 40 bucks I spent.

While I have never used that product, I would recommend the maverick ET-73 as well. There customer service is top notch. My smoker probe burned out when I first received it (about 4 years ago) and they sent me a new one free and this winter my transmitter died and they sent me a new one free as well. What company backs up their product like that?

A while back, lots of folks here (including me) used them. Now most folks (including me) no longer use them

Whats that tell you?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rich langer:
A while back, lots of folks here (including me) used them. Now most folks (including me) no longer use them

Whats that tell you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That tells you to save your money and not buy one. I second Rich. I haven't used my ET-73 for a couple years now. Once you get use to your smoker, it's pretty much set it and forget it. I don't even keep a probe in the meat any more. I pretty much know when it's done and then I start checking with my Thermapen (which is expensive but worth it).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That tells you to save your money and not buy one. I second Rich. I haven't used my ET-73 for a couple years now. Once you get use to your smoker, it's pretty much set it and forget it. I don't even keep a probe in the meat any more. I pretty much know when it's done and then I start checking with my Thermapen (which is expensive but worth it).
Posts: 1533 | Location: Monroe, Michigan | Registered: December 06, 2003 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yea, It all tells me to save my money. I have a thermapen also so I guess I can do the same; check with my pen when I think it is close to being done.
Thanks everyone for your input.

Back