Hanger, homemade tortillas, tomatillo salsa

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
Hot day, and a bit of late start, but I managed to grill a bit.
Made my own corn tortillas (a first). So easy.
IMG_3077.jpg

IMG_3078.jpg

Hanger steak: at $5.99/lb, it's got to be one of the best beef deals out there. Trimmed off the silver skin and cut out the line of sinew down the middle. Marinated in lime, chipotle, oregano, EVOO, s&p.
IMG_3085.jpg

Grilled corn, 10 ears total. I'll cut the corn off of 9 cobs and freeze it. I seem to remember Jim Lampe doing this last year - a good idea!
IMG_3080.jpg

Grilled the tomatillos along with a few cloves of garlic. Tossed in the blender with 2 chopped jalapenos and a squeeze of lime. Tossed with chopped vidalia onion, cilantro, s&p for the roasted tomatillo salsa.
IMG_3081.jpg

Grilled a couple poblanos and two split, very ripe platanos. Just used a little oil and salt on the plantains. Super sweet!
IMG_3082.jpg

Plate her up! Watermelon "salad" with fresh shiso, mint and kafir lime leaf, grilled corn with miso/ancho butter, and the hanger tortillas. OK, the hanger was a bit rare (black and blue really) but the flavor was so good, I really didn't care.
IMG_3087.jpg

I'm 'zausted, but fat and happy! Hope everyone had a good weekend. - G

Gary -

Great looking all around! And nothing like fresh tortillas... Love the look of the salsa - did you add any olive oil?

Jim

Well, you screwed yourself now. Good luck trying to eat a store-bought tortilla! My wife and I make tortillas too, and store bought just doesn't cut it anymore.

And the steak looks good too.

OUTSTANDING price on the hangers! 10.99 lb here and I haven't seen them in a while.

Gary, i find it difficult to single out ONE or TWO photos in this post . . .
Every photo is EXCELLENT!
Of course, the final dinner plate is at the top of the list...
Beautiful!!

Beautiful meal Gary! Just out of curiosity, where did you find your tortilla press? We've found a good source for masa but no press.

Good luck trying to eat a store-bought tortilla!
Funny, and sad but true!
John Des - Try any chef supply or foodie type place. I had trouble finding mine, but $19.99 should get you a good basic. There's always Amazon...
Thanks to all for the kind comments!

Hanger steak: at $5.99/lb, it's got to be one of the best beef deals out there.

I think they're less than $4/lb at restaurant depot, but they are pretty rough and take a bit of clean up with 25-30% waste.

I like them a lot as they have a nice assertive flavor that takes other assertive flavors well.

Made my own corn tortillas

corn tortillas are pretty much non existent around here. We were discussing how it's ironic that corn is in everything but our tortillas.

Watermelon "salad" with fresh shiso, mint and kafir lime leaf

that sounds really good. You need to try the watermelon salad out of "Eat With Your Hands." I think you would dig that too.

Back