Guidance on quantity.

Mike_Mc

TVWBB Member
Hey all,

Love all the advice I have received on here and still looking for more! Father-in-law signed me up for smoking for a mother's day bash. Looking forward to the cook, but wasn't sure on quantity. Thinking pulled pork. How many butts do you think I should use to feed 40ish people? Also, will my cook times increase significantly if it is a large number of butts? Thanks for everything!

mm

Very off the cuff here. You'll need about 12 lbs finished product figuring each person averages 1/3 lb of pulled pork (some will eat more, others less). I'd go with about 24 lbs raw (after trimming) and that should give you some cushion. Regarding time, will take longer to get to temp but once you're at temp cooking times should be close to normal.

I'm sure others will chime in and advise as well.

Larry's amount is where I was going to go as well. For 40-50, I usually do four butts (they come in 2 packs at Sams...) and there is some left at the end, but never enough to say I'd cook one less.

I've also got an 18" WSM, and for four butts (two top, two bottom) you can expect it to go a touch longer, but not significantly. Just takes a little longer to settle in to a cruising temp.

I'm glad I saw this thread! I'm catering my best friends youngest daughters wedding the first next month. We are expecting 60-70 people.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:I'm glad I saw this thread! I'm catering my best friends youngest daughters wedding the first next month. We are expecting 60-70 people. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Phil, been there, done that and had the hangover to prove it. Check this link out COOKING FOR GRAD PARTY

Just wanted to say thanks for the info. I will post some pics of the cook this weekend and let you know how it went. It will be the largest quantity of meat for me to date.

Back