Grilling Fresh Mexican Chorizo, Veiny Casings?

RCBaughn

TVWBB Super Fan
So I went to a Mexican grocery store down the road looking for Cinco de Mayo stuff for this most recent trade round and ended up bringing home almost two pounds of fresh chorizo. They make it in store there, and the casings are a bit "veiny" looking.

Do you guys who have had this kind of fresh sausage usually eat the casing like you would a bratwurst, or is it suppose to be split and cooked crumbled up? Didn't know what that casing might do when it is cooked since it isn't the real clean looking kind I'm use to. Maybe it is just the chitterlings from the pig and not just the intestine lining because I have never seen veiny hog casings on a sausage before.

But can I just grille these up and serve em on a bun like a brat or do I need to smoke them or something? Or crumble up and make a stew or burger patty with them? It's not like it was expensive and if it is not that good I won't be killed, but as good as the stuff smells fresh it should taste good as long as I get the cooking of it and/or the casing nailed down. Really want to grille them and serve em on a bun but don't want that casing to be tough, chewy, or stringy since it has visible veins looks like.

You can grill them but you must use a foil underneath. The casing will shrink a little and may loose some chorizo to the grill. You can serve in a bun also. I sometimes remove them from the casing and just cook on the CI and its always good. Hope this helps.

The fresh ones I get aren't veiny, but the casings are really thin. Basically do a reverse sear on them and if they're over the coals for 20 seconds or more a side they bust open. That said I love them with sour cream.

Mexican chorizo cooked and added to fresh re-fried beans is to die for, greatest breakfast taco in the world. Pappas con chorizo ain't bad either.

Well guys thanks for the help! I thawed out some squid tubes I had and marinated them in garlic, lime juice and zest, olive oil and crushed dried thai chiles. Sautéed the chorizo with garlic, onions, red pepper flakes and when it cooled mixed in some bread crumbs and herbed goat cheese. Took the tubes straight from the marinade and stuffed them jam packed full. Lit a full chimney and indirect in the Weber 10 minutes to get the filling hot then charred them super fast. Ate with some mashed potatoes, grilled corn and Caesar salad with cheese bread.

They were wonderful, thanks for all the help about taking it out of the casing and using like that. I have a little uncooked leftover so I just may make breakfast with it tomorrow. The refried beans sounds insanely good.

Back