Grilling: Basic Steak On The Grill

Interesting discussion on those past posts Jim. I didn't realize that the "sear in the juices" myth had been argued as far back as 2005. I joined the group in 2007 and can remember hearing that claim for many years (as if it was gospel) until it was finally debunked. I did notice that there was no mention of the "reverse sear". Little did they know at the time that a new and extremely popular method for cooking steaks was just over the horizon.

Steve, I'm sure the argument of "sear in the juices" goes further back MUCH further back than '05...

Just like opinions, everybody has one, the same might be said about grilling a steak, lots of different ways to do it, and sometimes they change
with time. Many people like to put their personal stamp on an idea and then tell others that it is "the best way" or the "only way". Grilling a
great steak might be boring if there really was only one right way. It good to have a go to method to fall back on, and fun to try ways that are
new and different as well. What would be even more interesting would be to see if those original posters are still grilling their steak the same way,
of if they have a new best way for steaks.

Thanks for the link Jim.

Although I wasn't a member back in the day I do remember all those ideas on the way to cook a steak were very popular. Today we no longer "sear to lock in the juices", don't poke the steak or all the good flavor will run out", "Only sear first", "must have a super hot fire" Just wonder what tomorrow will bring.

Although I wasn't a member back in the day I do remember all those ideas on the way to cook a steak were very popular. Today we no longer "sear to lock in the juices", don't poke the steak or all the good flavor will run out", "Only sear first", "must have a super hot fire" Just wonder what tomorrow will bring.

We used to sear at the start of cooking... now we sear at the end....... What is left to do? The mid-sear method? Funny how things change.

Next in searing will be

CYaJK.jpg

I have been playing with Meathead's (amazingribs.com) suggestion of 'dry brining'... While the 1.5" porterhouses I have done came out tender and juicy, they were just a tad too salty for regular consumption. Wondering if I am doing it wrong... (too much salt?)

IMO the best way to cook a steak is the way you like to cook your steak, there is no right or wrong way.

I have been playing with Meathead's (amazingribs.com) suggestion of 'dry brining'... While the 1.5" porterhouses I have done came out tender and juicy, they were just a tad too salty for regular consumption. Wondering if I am doing it wrong... (too much salt?)

My favorite way is to dry brine too. It takes a little practice to get them the way you like. Your are probably brining them too long. I cover my steaks in salt and depending on the thickness I let the salt set 30 minutes to an hour then rinse off all of the salt and pat dry the steaks to get them as dry as I can.

Sea salt, actually. But nice and coarse
"coarse" sea salt and kosher salt are one and the same. The name is more indicative of size and shape than anything else.

Table salt on the other hand is different to the extent it has added ingredients like iodine, anti-caking ingredients. None of that with k salt or s salt.

This weekend I grilled up some NY Strip steaks for the wife and I. This is the method that I used. Half of chimney of lit coals in the center of the grill. Grilled steaks 2 minutes per side. Then moved the steaks to edge of the grill for indirect cooking. I would say it probably took about 15 minutes of grilling time. BTW, this my new steak seasoning of choice!

As for dry brining, I will use this method on tougher cuts of meat.

This does bring back memories...It has been too long since I grilled some good steaks.

My main fault with prepared/commercial spices/rubs is TOOOO much salt!

Reverse searing
Or
Inverse reverse searing?
This is the dilemma.
IMO it depends on the thickness of the steak itself.
For 1-2 finghers high, inverse reverse method (first searing then cooking till donedess) is the safest way. You can't overcook any steak with this process because you have already done the hottest/searing phase and only the safer phase of indirect cook is needed.
For much bigger steaks (thicker) the reverse searing is the way.
You can slowly cook tje steak till it reachs the IT you ate looking for. Then you can let the steak rest in blancket for hours.
When you need you move the steak to the grill for super fast searing action, without any risk of overdoing it.

As long as TVWBB doesn't have to start a microwave forum because Weber makes one I think we'll be long arguing about searing and reverse searing and rub, no rub etc. It's all just chemistry but Tradition is just as much a part of it for me. How my dad or uncle did it...the family sauce....lump vs K. I love the traditions and I like to make "antique" grilling recipes like Cornell Chicken exactly from the official 1950's guide. OK I didn't build a brick pit. But all you need is meat, fire and heart and you've got a decent meal on deck.

Back