GrillGrate + Kettle

MichaelJ

First week on the forum, beginner-intermediate level griller (Genesis Gold, Genesis E-310 Special Edition, Performer Platinum x 2, Smokey Mountain). Received GrillGrates yesterday for the kettle and would appreciate any advice.

When preparing steak or chicken, I usually use the BBQ system sear grate set with two charcoal baskets directly under the center sear grate. I fire up the lump coal to 450+, sear each side of the steak for 2 minutes, and switch to indirect for another few minutes until desired level of wellness for the guests. For chicken breasts, I cook each side 6-7 minutes only on the direct flame.

I ordered the GrillGrate for the kettle after briefly reading the reviews on this forum, although in retrospect mainly in reference to use on the gas units (GrillGrates for the Genesis planned for next purchase). Without fully understanding the science behind them, I gather that the heat from the charcoal baskets will raise the temperature of the entirety of new grates, but does this eliminate the dual-zone capacity of the original setup? Does the periphery of the grates reach high temps, or can I still use the outer ring for low/slow cooking?

Thanks in advance for any input. I apologize if this has been addressed in past posts, but I was unable to locate any such information.

Sounds like your GG are covering you whole cooking area. It will be just like a regular cooking grate ...hot over the coals and cooler away from the coals. I use mine on my Weber gasser and love them. I heat them up then cut off one or two burners. Super good sear and not flare ups.

A few weeks ago, I used my GrillGrates and Vortex on my Performer to do a stuffed pork loin and artichokes. I flipped the GrillGrates upside down to sear the pork loin and then reduced the GrillGrates down to one panel to finish off the artichokes. I've got GrillGrates on my EP-330 that are wall-to-wall and I have a starter set of 3 panels that I use on my other grills.

IMG_0059 by Derrick Orlando, on Flickr

Pork Loin by Derrick Orlando, on Flickr

Pork Loin by Derrick Orlando, on Flickr

Last edited:

Back