Grilled baby backs?

Chris E

TVWBB Pro
I was thinking about doing some CSRs with five spice to get something sort of like ribs at PF Changs that my wife and friend really like. Indirect, crispy outside with rub and no sauce.

Then I was wondering if I found some fairly meaty baby backs and cut them up before cooking maybe that would work. Figure hot indirect fire and some grilling too--maybe kinda like chicken wings are cooked on the kettle.

What do you folks think? Anybody ever grill baby backs individually? Will they come out tender or just dry up?

you'd probably want to cook the slab normally and intact - take them off & slice, then return to 'crisp' them individually... it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes at the end.

Peter I think I'll go with your suggestion. Normally I do 3-2-1 spares. but I think baby backs cook less time. And if I separate them at the end that might speed it up too. I want to get a nice bark on the ribs with five spice but it can burn if not careful Maybe do a 2-2-1 with the last hour cut individually and dredged in five spice.

Dwain thanks for the throwdown reminder. Not what I'd typically do but hey I'll take some pics and pretty it up a little :)

More later...

I went with the baby backs and they came out tasty. I'll be posting it on the throwdown forum.

bb%20throwdown%203.jpg

Last edited:
At the barbeque pit boys web site they have a video of cutting up the ribs and cooking them in a pile of one bone pieces. Looks interesting.

Back