Green Chile Sauce

Robert T.

TVWBB Super Fan
Help. Last year, I had a boatload of New Mexico Green Chiles and Anaheims and struggled to find a good recipe for green chile sauce. Lots of recipes out there but none that really wowed me. Would love to hear any suggestions.

Buckeye Bob

1 cup chopped roasted, peeled green New Mexico chile, stems removed

1 small/medium onion, peeled, sliced crosswise every 1/3-inch - slices left intact

2 small cloves garlic, unpeeled

2 Tablespoons lard, preferably homemade or a neutral oil

1 Tablespoon flour

1 small tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped [or sub 2 green tomatillos, if desired]

1 cup chicken broth

1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Heat a dry comal or large heavy skillet over med-high heat. When hot, lay the onion slices in the pan along with the garlic cloves. Cook the garlic, turning frequently, til the skins are toasted and charred in spots; remove from pan. Cook the onion undisturbed, till the slices are charred un spots (do not flip); remove from pan. Peel and mince the garlic; finely chop the onion.

In a small pot melt the lard. Sauté the onion till softened then add the garlic and cook, stirring, 30-45 seconds more. Stir in the flour and blend well with a flat whisk or fork. Simmer for a douple of minutes to cook the flour, stirring constantly. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce has thickened. Adjust salt and pepper; serve, or cool and freeze.

As a Texan, most of my salsas are jalapeno or serrano-based. But I do have this. A relish rather than a salsa, but you can get some flavor profile ideas. Great on burgers.

Green Chile Relish
1 poblano chile, medium, roasted, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
2 New Mexico chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced (recommended: Hatch, Big Jim or other medium green chile)
1 serrano chile, roasted, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and season with salt and pepper, to taste.

=-=-=-=

Maybe use the relish as the heat in a tomatillo salsa:

Tomatillo Green Chile Salsa
Green chile relish
12 tomatillos, husked, chopped (about 2 cups)
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
¼ cup onion, diced
1 teaspoon lime juice, or to taste
kosher salt, to taste
2 tablespoons peanut oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Mix the whole tomatillos, garlic and onion with extra-virgin olive oil and salt, place on a baking sheet and roast for 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer the roasted vegetables and any juices on the bottom of the tray to a blender or food processor and blend until it has a smooth consistency. Add green chile relish a little at a time (I don't know how much I would add...) and blend to get desired heat. Add lime juice and salt to taste.

In a pan, heat up the peanut oil, and pour the blended salsa into the pan and cook, stirring for about five minutes to bring the flavors together.

Roasted Tomatillo and Green Chile Salsa

1 lb of tomatillos (roasted)
1/2 lb of green chiles (roasted,Hatch, NM, etc.)
5 Serano chiles (raw)
1 small white onion (roasted)
4 clove of garlic (roasted)
1/4 chopped cilantro
juice of 1 lime
salt

Grill the tomatillos and green chiles (not the seranos) until they have a nice char. If using any chiles with a thick skin, immediately remove from grill when done and place in a paper bag for 5 mins. Then remove the skin.

Lightly grill onions and garlic - about 4 mins.

Remove stems and seeds from all chiles. Remove husk from tomatillos. Cut all to fit in food processor. Peel and add garlic to food processor. Cut seranos in half and add to food processor. Add sufficient water and pulse until smooth; about 3/4 C to 1 C. Rough chop the onion and cilantro and mix in by hand. Squeeze lime juice and salt to taste.

Paul

Back