Grate Size and Ideas

David-CA

I purchased a Webber at an estate sale for $100 and I am in the process of refurbishing it...a 1996 Genesis Platinum II, similar to Jeff MA' s unit, which he posted in July of 2016. I'm not doing a total strip down but close. My question is, should I buy one set of S.S. grates for this unit and not install the smoker box which sits on the left side. Or buy the S.S. grates and cut one side so I have a small section I can remove when I want to use the smoke box? The porcelain grates are too gone to cook on. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG20231026173422.jpg
    IMG20231026173422.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG20231026173413.jpg
    IMG20231026173413.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG20231026173410.jpg
    IMG20231026173410.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 17
I just finished a full resto on the same grill. The smoker box is pretty well useless and the juice isn’t worth the squeeze to be cutting bars IMO. If it’s going to be a keeper, bite the bullet and buy the 9mm Qulimetal grates. You won’t regret it. For a flip or resale grill, the same size grate in 7mm rod is available for half the cost or less…and yes, the 9mm are worth the difference in price if you’re the one using them.

Attachments

• IMG_0649.jpeg
    IMG_0649.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0697.png
    IMG_0697.png
    376.8 KB · Views: 23
Yep, for a smoker (speaking from experience), pack of foil with wood chips or pellets, work way better under the grate. If you need a longer smoke, I would make multiple packs. When one expired, carefully lift the grate, remove the spent one, and replace.
Or if you want to get fancy a commercially made one also works well. And have the smoke exit under the grates so it passes up, around and over the food. Otherwise you're just making smoke for smoke's sake

I just finished a full resto on the same grill. The smoker box is pretty well useless and the juice isn’t worth the squeeze to be cutting bars IMO. If it’s going to be a keeper, bite the bullet and buy the 9mm Qulimetal grates. You won’t regret it. For a flip or resale grill, the same size grate in 7mm rod is available for half the cost or less…and yes, the 9mm are worth the difference in price if you’re the one using them.
The burgundy tops are so nice

Also, where did you get that grey wall tire ?

Also, where did you get that grey wall tire ?
They are an 8” Broil King wheel and have a real rubber tread so I like to use them on grills that are heavier or get moved around a lot. They roll so much smoother and are so much quieter than the OEM Weber. For the Platinum, it just made sense both from a color match and the big grill standpoint. I buy them 10 at a time and I’d have to go look to be certain, but Broil King Parts rings a bell for the vendor I purchase from. Use the part number shown in the photo to do a web search for the best value for your needs.
IMG_0701.jpeg

Plus they have all terrain traction. Just right for those back roads adventures :D
Our good friend, Charles Bouchard at Chuck’s Inserts, says the new Master Touch 8” wheels are rubber as well. If the Broil Kings are off-roaders, these MT’s are the track spec tire. I haven’t seen them in person yet but can’t wait to try a set…with custom inserts, of course.

IMG_0702.png

I love the MasterTouch wheels dressed up with those inserts. Looks very sharp! I don't usually have to move mine around, though.

I’m curious as to the smoker box dislikes. Is this only on the older genesis? Or do you feel it rings true throughout all generations in general?

The ones that exit the smoke at grate level and on the side are really not worth the effort to use and the cost. They also leave a lot of wood ash inside the grill making a real mess for no real benefits. Yeah it's sort of a cool accessory but if you're after flavor not cool, just use some foil packs under the grates

Used kettles are plentiful
Yes, that is definitely one way of doing it. I'll tell you what though, I cooked some chicken thighs on my Genesis 1000 the other day that had a fantastic smoky flavor to them. Those flavorizer bars really do work. Granted, not the same as a kettle but given how much easier it is to fire up the gasser it was close.

Back