Got 3 bags of wood chips for birthday - use on WSM, grill-style?

Dan Wicker

TVWBB Fan
My sister got me three bags of wood chips for my birthday (along with a Raichlen cookbook, 6-pack of Warsteiner, and a Weber BBQ glove, all neatly nested in a nice, aluminum beer tub!). She got apple, alder, and Jack Daniels chips. I didn't have the heart to tell her I prefer chunks, and I figure I could use these anyways.

I don't own a charcoal grill, just the WSM and a cheap-o Char-Broil gasser that doesn't get hot enough to get a cast iron smoker box going. I'm thinking about putting the top grate down directly over the charcoal chamber and grilling steaks that way. Or should I set the charcoal ring over the lower food rack and fill it with charcoal?

Just trying to think of ways to get the good smoke flavor from these chips onto some grilled meats.. thanks.

The chips will work fine in your WSM. They just wont last as long as chunks. You can soak em in water for a while before using them, or put them dry in an aluminum foil packet with a few holes poked in the foil. That way they will not burn up right away.

I have a cheap-o Char-Broil gasser too and what I do is put the chips in a foil pouch with holes poked in it or in a small aluminum bread pan. I then put the left burner on high and put the chips over that and run the right side as low as possible or off and put the meat on that side to cook using indirect heat. I do chicken, tri-tips, ribs, and even steaks like that. You do have to cook longer to get any smoke, but tastes great. With the steaks I like to have a little flame under them to get a little char.

Yep, foil pouch and one or two tooth pick sized holes will do you. Also as mentioned they are great for using on a gasser with a foil pouch. It's all wood and it's all good.
icon_biggrin.gif

I'll try the foil pouch on the gasser. I know it didn't get hot enough to get a smoker box going, but didn't try the foil. Bryan, I have been really wanting to try the roadside chicken, and may use these chips with my gasser to do it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Wicker: Bryan, I have been really wanting to try the roadside chicken, and may use these chips with my gasser to do it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Apple "That'll do donkey, that'll do!" Sorry, just being silly tonight.
icon_biggrin.gif
Just in case that " " is from Shrek.
icon_smile.gif

Maybe I do things weird but I start my gasser and have the burners on high to burn off the last cook. I put the foil pouch of chips or pellets on the grill during the preheat. I have always had the same problem of not getting chips going on the gasser til I started doing it that way. The chips are on with the burners at full blast to get them started. Seems like it doesn't need as much to keep them going. I don't have any of this problem anymore. My newest gasser has a chip tray built in that puts them right next to the burner.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff T Miller:
Maybe I do things weird but I start my gasser and have the burners on high to burn off the last cook. I put the foil pouch of chips or pellets on the grill during the preheat. I have always had the same problem of not getting chips going on the gasser til I started doing it that way. The chips are on with the burners at full blast to get them started. Seems like it doesn't need as much to keep them going. I don't have any of this problem anymore. My newest gasser has a chip tray built in that puts them right next to the burner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jeff, I do the burn off from the last grill session also. I too have one of them fancy Weber's that has a smoker box, and it's own burner. Yes it does take a while to get the wood going/smoking, great point.
icon_cool.gif
If using the foil pouch without the smoker box I toss it right on to the flavorizer bars. A little trial and error to get the timing right.

Back