Good Price 22.5” WSM?

David Purvis

TVWBB Member
Wally World has 22.5 WSM Model 731001 delivered this Friday for $429.99

Seems low to me.

Good price?
I had a 18” since 2008 ish.

For some weird reason, used WSMs are dirt cheap on Facebook. I don't quite understand it. I bought a used 18" for a buddy for $50 last summer. The prices seem to have come up a bit since then though.

For some weird reason, used WSMs are dirt cheap on Facebook. I don't quite understand it. I bought a used 18" for a buddy for $50 last summer. The prices seem to have come up a bit since then though.
22” on Facebook seem to be running $450 ish
Higher than Wally World yesterday….

I wish I never seen this sale. I do not need it. But killing me not too buy. The comments here about leaks at top door and bottom joint is so far holding me from buying.

I don’t like cooking on the bottom grate. I could do everything on the top grate of 22.
I also like cooking w/ no water pan. I think the little taller height on 22 would help.

This smoking is an addiction………

This summer I just got one on FB for $225.00. It was used 1 time and I couldn't even tell to be honest. You can find them pretty new. I doubt I'll have 400 in it complete with new stainless grates, CB locks and hinge. I also had a complete CB door and gasket kit so that didn't hurt. The way I look at it is new is only new once so if I can find a clean used wsm I'll do that route every time.

This summer I just got one on FB for $225.00. It was used 1 time and I couldn't even tell to be honest. You can find them pretty new. I doubt I'll have 400 in it complete with new stainless grates, CB locks and hinge. I also had a complete CB door and gasket kit so that didn't hurt. The way I look at it is new is only new once so if I can find a clean used wsm I'll do that route every time.
Absolutely. You can literally save hundreds of dollars on a used WSM. I bought one for $50! The water bowl is worth that! I don't understand why they sell so cheap used. The other used smokers by other makes are priced much closer to retail. Why would a world class smoker like the WSM sell so cheap used? I don't get it.

Absolutely. You can literally save hundreds of dollars on a used WSM. I bought one for $50! The water bowl is worth that! I don't understand why they sell so cheap used. The other used smokers by other makes are priced much closer to retail. Why would a world class smoker like the WSM sell so cheap used? I don't get it.
Agreed.
I think the reason is that using one requires a little time and effort. To me, that's part of the appeal. That, and pellet smokers....

Someone I know has three WSM NIB. Bought when Target was clearing them out. Tried to put out a smoke signal to alert others here. Failed. But I do have a wsm in each size. When spring comes, I will have to consider a large party. If no one shows interest in taking 1, 2, or all three off my hands (er out of my garage).

Last edited:
Do the 22 still have leaking top side door & barrel to base?

Seams to me the whole problem is the door is way too big for that thin of material. Smaller door may fix both problems. I sure Weber had already tried that…..,don’t know

The WSM's are not designed to be air tight.
Yes sir I know they’re not air tight.
My 2008 ish 18 leaked a tad & seal itself.

I read here about the bad leaks on some 22’s & not sealing itself. Making it harder to control temps.
I just wonder if there was a smaller hole (door) cut out, if it would help. Barrel may be getting out of round from the large hole causing leaks at top corners of the door and the bottom joint as I read about here. Or maybe narrow steel bands internally at top & bottom of door cut out to push the barrel back round if thats causing leaks. I thinking Weber modifications……
I certainly don’t know, too much time to think.

The very large door appears nice to work thru.

Just a hunch from more pipe fabrication & welding than I care to remember…….

The leaks on the sweeps are not terrible for heat control but make real hard for a quick shutdown. Mine takes for ever to cool done to touch temp.

And the door if sealed with lava rock seal it will not leak at all.

Yes sir I know they’re not air tight.
My 2008 ish 18 leaked a tad & seal itself.

I read here about the bad leaks on some 22’s & not sealing itself. Making it harder to control temps.
I just wonder if there was a smaller hole (door) cut out, if it would help. Barrel may be getting out of round from the large hole causing leaks at top corners of the door and the bottom joint as I read about here. Or maybe narrow steel bands internally at top & bottom of door cut out to push the barrel back round if thats causing leaks. I thinking Weber modifications……
I certainly don’t know, too much time to think.

The very large door appears nice to work thru.

Just a hunch from more pipe fabrication & welding than I care to remember…….
I've run my 22.5" WSM since 2011 and have not had the any major issues.

I see great deals on 18, 14 and even the big 22 WSMs all the time. Some are only lightly used. A little cleaning and you can even upgrade the internals to stainless and still come out ahead!

It mystifies me as well why WSMs don’t seem to hold their value.

Back