Good Books/Magazines

Andrew S. B.

TVWBB Member
Hi Everyone,

Do anyone have any reccomendations for BBQ books or magazines? I tend more towards the "exotic" side of the spectrum, but i'll get whatever you can highly reccomend!

Andrew

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
BBQ USA. In all the big book stores.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto! I picked this book up about a month ago. It's got a little bit of everything in it from many famous and semi famous BBQ joints across the country!!

The Kansas City Barbeque Society Cookbook is a good one. Of course there's Smoke & Spice which is very popular.
icon_smile.gif

I have the following:

Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces
Smoke & Spice (old edition)
John Willingham's Bar-B-Q
Jeanne Voltz's Barbecue Ribs, Butts and Other Great Foods
Steven Raichlen's Barbecue Bible

All have their pros and cons.

A new book I haven't looked yet at is Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook (Ray Lampe).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
BBQ USA. In all the big book stores.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto! I picked this book up about a month ago. It's got a little bit of everything in it from many famous and semi famous BBQ joints across the country!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Larry, look at where the very 1st recipe is listed from. Thats my hometown and I have never bbqed any nuts yet. lol. Then he talks about our mustard wings, never seen those either!
icon_biggrin.gif

I gotta get out more.

I have these and would recommend them in roughly this order (assuming by BBQ you mean smoked and not grilled):

Steve Raichlen's BBQ Bible
Smoke and Spice
Steve Rachlen's Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades
KC BBQ Society Cookbook
Steve Raichlen's BBQ USA

For Grilling:
Steve Raichlen's How to Grill
Born to Grill

You could switch BBQ USA and BBQ Bible into either position. They are both excellent! I am still working my way through BBQ USA recipes, so I don't know which is "better" yet.

I love Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades and highly recommend that book.

-Matt

Thanks to everyone who helped me. BBQ USA and BBQ Bible came in the mail a few days ago, quickly read through the books.

Looks great, but one thing confused me a little. Both books are for either direct or indirect grilling on a kettle, with no mention of 250F smoking in a smoker exept for a few times under Variations. How do you guys alter the recepies for 250F smokeing in the WSM? All we have to change is cooking time, right?

Andrew

I don't alter the recepies. The only thing I alter is the cooking time.

I treat indirect cooking in a kettle like it was a smoker at a higher temp. Get a good thermometer that measures the grill and meat. I use a Maverick. When the meat hits the right temp you got BBQ.

He gives information on the 2 most popular BBQ (?) method (gas grill and charcoal kettle/grill). It seems people don't have time to do things the low & slow way.

Two of the better ones I have are:

Legends of Texas Barbeque, and
Peace, Love and Barbeque.

Nothing overly exotic in either and dead on recipes.

I do have Smoke and Spice, which is a really good book as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Legends of Texas Barbeque, and
Peace, Love and Barbeque. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To that I would add "Smokestack Lightining" along the same vein as the above two, and a very good read. Also, I noticed that most of the high-end cooking magazines have their summer grilling issues out - but I haven't looked at them enough to recommend any, but there should be some exotic stuff in them.

I think i was a little too confident when i asked for some "exotic" books. Does anyone know a really soild book on Smoking (not grilling or indirect) that would give me a really good foundation to start on? The absolutley best resource i have so far is the cooking section of this website, and wouldn't be able to do a darn thing without it! Something like Cris's examples, very straightforward.

Back