Going Over to the Dark Side!

M Menendez

TVWBB Fan
Ok guys I feel like I am going over to the dark side I really want a new Weber Genesis gas grill. Does anyone here use one in combination with their smoker? If I get the gasser I think I will keep my one-touch and sell one of my other Weber charcoal units leaving me with the smaller bullet, a one-touch charcoal and the gasser. Am I crazy or this normal? I am getting tired of having light the charcoal every time I BBQ about three times a week.

HELP!

Heretic!
icon_eek.gif

Naw ... it's perfectly normal.

I got a small gasser cuz the wife didn't want to mess with charcaol and the kids wanted their chicken strips, hamburgers, and hot dogs quick.

yeah, you're crazy
icon_smile.gif

i grill 5 days aweek and smoke one day and use charcoal everytime.
Own a Weber Genesis that i've used probably three times this year (January 1st to today).
If i could not use charcoal, i'd be cooking in the house on the stove or in the oven.
Or ordering pizza.
Nothing (and i mean NOTHING) like cookin' with coal.
Butt that's just me
icon_biggrin.gif

I use my Genesis all the time, and charcoal the rest of the time. There's a time and a place for both, imo.

Have always used charcoal/lump, have had/not had gas over the years, not using gas the lat 5 years. After last winter though I'm planning on picking up a Q220 or Q320 this winter. Gas does have it's place, no shame in it.

I hear you, I use gas every time I grill now. It is how I fuel my flamethrower to light my Performer or Eggs. The charcoal is ready in no time.

I will recommend this: buy a used Weber gasser like I did for $60 on craigs list. I really wanted a new genesis, but after getting more charcoal grills, I have found that my Weber gasser sits in the corner with the cover on it. When I want to use it, its there and it works flawlessly, but I only had to pay $60 for it. A new Genesis is like what, $700? Get a Performer that has the gas assist for $329, a weed burner to light your other grills for $39, and a perfectly functional Weber gasser for less than $100. I hope this helps, and enjoy whatever you end up choosing!

I have a gasser and use it about half the time. I'm in the market though for a OTS or OTG just so I can cook with lump more often.

I work a lot of hours and get home late at times, so a gasser is perfect for those times when you are short on time and have a need for cooking over an open flame.

However, I really wish I had a performer. If I were to choose any style that is what I'd get.

Gassers are nice to keep on hand for either quick grilling, or crisping up the skin on chicken at the end of the smoke. Stuff like that.

M,I do a lot of cooking on my Genesis and the WSM. But there is something magical about a steak or spatch-cocked chicken on charcoal!

Sorry to jump in so late. I have the trifecta: WSM, kettles, Genesis. The gasser is great for last minute cooks. Just don't get used to it!

M,
I use my Gasser all the time. The cabinet and cooking area make great storage areas, and the side burner is used to start up my modified chimneys and maybe to heat up a side dish or sauce. And the propane never seems to run out.
icon_wink.gif

I use my Summit 10X more often than my WSM purely for convenience. Would a charcoal or WSM taste better? Yes. I use it purely for convenience... And I think even the most die hard charcoal nazis on this board would admit that food grilled on a gas grill is better than baked in the oven should time not permit the extra 30+ minutes of prep and clean-up required by charcoal.

I have a very nice gas grill that I bought from Costco. It has 3 burners, a sear burner a side burner and a rotisserie burner.

I usually use the side burner to light the coals in my chimney.

8^)

Seriously... I think a gas grill has its place. I use my sear burner for steaks and the wife likes cooking korean bbq and marinated chicken on it.

The WSM is for big stuff... like pork butts, briskets, ribs and whole chickens.

I got the 22" WSM and I think I should have gotten the 18". There's only me, my wife and occasionally, my son.

Even cooking for the fellas when we get together for beers and cigars the 22" seems like overkill.

I use the always reliable Q grill for fast burgers and thin steaks. It definitely has it's place and is clean and efficient. It is high and fast. But I still think that there is nothing that can compare to charcoal. Low and Slow.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I have a 10yo genesis and still use it for quick things. We have a Q220 in the RV too. Gas has its place along side my 4 charcoal burners...

I think you are going in the direction. I used my genesis Platinum I for about 10 years then added a otg and wsm. they all have their place. I use all for those things they do best.
Just last week I was enamored with a CL offering so I spent $20 and now own a q-200. So far it makes good burgers.

Gassers have their place, I suppose.
Never owned one.
My son-in-law ( family of four) has only a gasser, and I did a couple of pounds of "roadside" wings with a packet of smoke chips on that.
I only managed to get one wing, so I guess you could say it turned out fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brad W:
Have always used charcoal/lump, have had/not had gas over the years, not using gas the lat 5 years. After last winter though I'm planning on picking up a Q220 or Q320 this winter. Gas does have it's place, no shame in it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being the owner and user of a Q220,I was just thinking Brad that the Q220's may not get hot enough for the Winters you get over there in the Northern parts of the US. I could be wrong but maybe a Genesis might be better for the cold snowy winters.I'm not from the US so please excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong but down here in Australia it doesn't get anywhere near as cold in the Winters here and the Q220 does fine but struggles a little on a windy winters day or evening so maybe the more heat power the better.

Cheers

Davo

I to use the Q all year round. It takes a little longer to warm up when it is below zero but yet still a little faster than kingsford. The flame can blow out but it does take a pretty good wind to do so. I found that it is a very good cold weather BBQer. My 2 cents.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back