Going Green

Paul R

TVWBB Fan
I have been trying to add more salads and greens into the diet. Running out of ideas to spice up the greens. Any favorite dressing/vinegarette recipes and or salad ideas appreciated.

Paul

I love salads. If you haven't already, consider choosing a dressing that compliments the main course (meat, fish, etc.) Mix it up a little if you're in a salad rut. Try some new greens; arugula, fresh spinach, mixed spring greens,etc. Look for fresh ingredients that are colorful and tasty. Grab an extra head of lettuce if it's on sale (romaine will keep better than many other types). I like to toss in chick peas/garbanzos, black beans, jicama or edamame for texture and flavor. Feta cheese is great with certain salads. Depending on the dressing you're using, consider adding marinated veggies such as artichokes, peppers, etc. I have no specific recipes for dressings; I either mix as needed (I really like oil and vinegar based) or use a bottled variety. If mixing your own, go for a quality olive oil; it can really make a difference.

Paul

You hit the nail on the head by calling it a salad rut. I have been eating them for lunch and need to change it up. Good idea on the beans and marinated veggies. I have been avoiding the store bought dressings an mainly making a balsamic/olive oil dressing. I found a seasoning blend recipe on here that Kevin had posted, and that spiced it up for awhile.

I like the mixes with baby spinach leaves and arugula and a light dousing of balsamic. Simple. But good. My problem is veggies. I really do not like them other than green beens and asparagus. And even those get boring. I feel like a kid again who is forced to eat these tasteless green things.

We need more veggie recipes. Do energy drinks count?
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have been eating them for lunch and need to change it up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Eating the same food with the same flavor profile frequently will get old. I'd continue to experiment. Instead of the balsamic dressing, try a citrus based dressing or perhaps a Caesar style dressing. With warmer weather, lighter flavors are a pleasant change. Try fruitier dressings by using mandarin oranges, sesame and other flavored oils. Rice wine vinegars pair well with fruits and are popular with oriental inspired dressings. Adding fried oriental noodles, pine nuts {lightly browned}, baked soy beans can add an interesting crunch/texture also. Tossing in some fresh broccoli florets, sugar snap peas, crimini mushrooms comes to mind as well. If you're eating a salad as the main meal, adding a protein gives you even more options. Think the addition of eggs, shredded chicken, ham, sausage, cheeses...

Paul

Hearts of romaine: split lengthwise

Spray cut side with olive oil, salt and pepper liberally, grate Parmesan cheese over cut side.

Grill cut-side down over high heat for just 2-3 minutes until lettuce starts to brown up, remove from heat, squeeze lemon juice over cut side

My favorite these days.

Thank you for all your suggestions Paul.

I remember seeing an episode of Good Eats where AB did almost the same thing Dave. I think he froze up some vinegar and scraped it into crystals to put on top.

Paul

You might want to try the Carolina Sauce recipe on the boards as a salad dressing. The wife and I have been using it with a little Ranch dressing thrown in and it's great! It really spices up an otherwise "standard" salad.

I'm needing to put together some salad info for another project so thought I'd stick some stuff in here; someone might find it helpful.

First, an kind of all-purpose dry herb/spice blend that can be prepped, stored, then easily made into ab Italian-style dressing can be found here.

Some ideas:

A simple sliced ripe tomato with ripe avocado, with drops of white balsamic, evoo (Morea highly recommended), salt and pepper:

IMG00023-20090918-1929.jpg

Arugula salad; white balsamic-agave nectar vinaigrette; grape tomatoes, avocado:

IMG00069-20090625-2015.jpg

A salad of baby arugula tossed with a balsamic vinaigrette, ripe local tomato, crumbled goat cheese, chopped cashews:

k004.jpg

A salad of local cucumber and tomato with baby spinach, Morea evoo, lemon, white pepper and ground fleur de sel:

k015.jpg

A cucumber-avocado salad starter (toasted pine nuts; white balsamic vinaigrette; zatar (note the long julienne of the cukes - sometimes just changing the shape of something changes the nature of the salad):

IMG00013-20090916-1800.jpg

A salad of baby greens, ripe tomato and avocado chunks--with a parmesan crisp--in a grapefruit vinaigrette:

salparm.jpg

Boston lettuce, ripe tomato, avocado, creamy feta dressing, toasted almonds:

buttsal.jpg

Lump crab salad tossed with calamondin vinaigrette; on baby greens and julienned red bell pepper, over romaine and butter lettuce:

crabsal.jpg

Baby green salad with sliced strawberries and strawberry-buttermilk dressing; shrimp cake 'croutons' (recipe):

saladwshrimp.jpg

Spinach and frisée tossed with prosciutto and lemon vinaigrette; crumbled goat cheese; pomegranate seeds; over sliced Fuji persimmons:

IMG_6837.jpg

Salad of butter lettuce and red leaf topped with watermelon, grape tomatoes and sliced hearts of palm; horseradish-lime cream:

IMG00302-20100519-2000.jpg

Kevin,
Great info on different salads. I have seen heart of palm before but have never tried them. What do they taste like? I noticed that you like to add some type of nut to the salad. Is that just for the change in texture or is there another reason?
Lance

Lance-- Hearts of palm are reminiscent of white asparagus - kinda sorta. (Grab the ones in the clear jar from Trader Joe's.)

Yes, I often add nuts; a flavor and texture thing. Occasionally I use them - well ground - as a thickener/flavor addition for the dressing itself.

Paul-- I don't often make the same dressing twice,, but my favorites (usually - it depends on a few factors) are those with a fruit component added. This can be fruit juice or purée added to the vin, or a fruit vin, or a combination of the two.

Vinaigrettes are easy to make. With a base formula, one can change elements of the mix very simply and end up with something entirely new. I can give you what I pretty much use for a base for vinaigrettes (and for creamy dressings too) if you'd like.

Vinaigrettes are easy to make. With a base formula, one can change elements of the mix very simply and end up with something entirely new. I can give you what I pretty much use for a base for vinaigrettes (and for creamy dressings too) if you'd like.

Kevin

That would be great Kevin.

Paul

A typical straight vinaigrette has oil, vinegar, usually mustard (for a little flavor and for its emulsifying properties; I suggest Dijon), a little minced shallot (optional), salt, pepper and, sometimes, a pinch of sugar. Other things like fresh or dried herbs, spices, etc., are often included.

The first thing to establish is the proportions you like. Note that these can vary a bit, depending on the vinegar you use, the oil, etc., but I like roughly 1:2 in most cases. So:

Start with your dry stuff and the mustard in the bowl first - let's go with a teaspoon-and-a-half of Dijon, a couple turns of the peppermill, a couple or three pinches of salt, a tablespoon of minced fresh shallot if you've got it (or minced sweet onion) - but don't worry about it if you don't as we're just establishing a baseline here, and a pinch or two of sugar, if desired. Mix to combine with a fork.

Add 1/4 cup vinegar of choice. For basic vinaigrettes I use red or white balsamic, or good white wine or champagne vinegar. Whisk well with the fork then add a few drops of your oil of choice (I mostly use a good evoo for basic vins - my preference is Morea), whisking with your fork constantly, then continue to add the oil in a very slow steady stream, till well combined and emulsified. Use 1/2 cup. Taste. Adjust salt. That's a 1:2 vinaigrette. If that works for you, good. If you want it less vinegary you can either add more oil or, if you prefer, you can add water, adjusting the salt and other seasonings as needed. You can add a pinch more of sugar but, contrary to popular belief, sugar can only go so far in balancing tartness. It doesn't do much for acidity balancing. If too acidic it's better to up the oil, add water, or do a bit of both.

[Note: if you have a handblender (AKA immersion or stick blender) you can make vinaigrettes and other dressings very quickly using that. You can also use a regular blender but, depending on its size, you might need to double quantities so that the blender can actually do its job.]

Once you have a base established you are good to go with literally countless variations. When used to your base quantities you can simply eyeball amounts. Adjustments are a breeze to make on the fly.

Basic additions and substitutions:

Add minced fresh or dried herbs (or a combination of both) to the mustard at the outset. Want a 'basil vinaigrette': add a tablespoon of minced fresh basil. A good herb vinaigrette might be, say, a couple or three teaspoons of minced fresh parsley, a t or two of basil, a little fresh or dried thyme, some fresh oregano or marjoram. For 1/4 cup of vinegar figure on 1-2 tablespoons total on the herbs.

You can up the Dijon to make it more of a mustard-y flavor finish. You can use a good honey Dijon - or simply add some honey to the regular Dijon you have when you mix it in the bowl.

You can switch sweeteners: agave nectar, honey, date molasses, maple syrup (try that with a salad that includes apple and cheddar cheese), are just a few examples.

You can switch vinegars or use a blend of two or more. I'm fond of cognac vinegar for beef salads (grilled steak, e.g., sliced and served atop tossed greens), fig vinegar, unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar, orange muscat vinegar, et al.

You can sub some fruit juice for all or part of the vinegar. (If the juice is tart you can go with it as is; if sweet, cut its sweetness with some vinegar.) Cherry juice and red or white balsamic 1:2; apple juice and cider vin 1:2 or 1:1; straight ruby red grapefruit juice or other tart citrus juice; the list goes on. One of my very favorite vinaigrettes for summer is lemonade vinaigrette. Replace the vinegar in your base with a good lemonade. With minced fresh basil and/or other herbs, Dijon, a touch of honey, plenty of pepper, it makes a great dressing for a summer salad - and is nice drizzled on grilled chicken, grilled corn-on-the-cob, etc. Ruby red grapefruit vinaigrette is a favorite for grilled-then-chilled shrimp that are served on top of a tomato-fruit salsa (finely diced tomato, sweet onion, finely diced ripe strawberry, minced jalapeño, finely diced pineapple and/or watermelon), the whole shebang drizzled with the grapefruit vinaigrette.

You can use different oils: walnut and almond oil are favorites, as are avocado oil hazelnut oil and others. They are best when wanting to add or boost nut flavors (such as when you are adding toasted nuts to a salad) and also work well with grilled meats and salads that contain dried berries.

More on this later, and I'll get into creamy dressings as well. They are simple too.

Those are some great ideas Kevin. Paul, for the grilling crowd, add any grilled veg to change up the salad. Think: grilled asparagus, corn, green beans,romaine lettuce cut into quarters, etc. Also, this is good warm or cold. I've taken it to work for lunch many times.

Thanks for the great tutorial Kevin! I just got back from a 10 day fishing vacation and had the link in my mailbox. Looking forward to more info! You should write a book.
Definitely going to try the grapefruit/shrimp/salsa shebang.
icon_smile.gif

I'll try your sweet potato recipe too Gary

Paul

My wife has a pretty strict diet that has required her to eat lots of greens. While we hit a "salad rut" early, we quickly realized all the different possibilities when you start adding fruit (fresh or dried), nuts (freshly toasted) and a wide array of cheeses.

This time of year we are heading into some of my favourite salads. I love baby spinach with fresh strawberries, toasted almonds, fresh goat cheese and a nice balsamic vinegrette.

Forget about bottled dressings... I have yet to find something we can't produce 10 times better and 100 times healthier.

Another great type I have is for anyone wanting a "creamy" type dressing without resorting to bottled stuff.... try blending in ripe avocado. It has a fairly neutral flavour and can easily be built on for just about anything.

Back