Goin' well so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello. I fired up the WSM for the first time today. It melted a nice hole in the ice on my patio, which is an added bonus. So far I've had pretty good luck. The temp has been way easier to keep steady than my old one. But it still seems to be running a little cool, and it seems to be tough to get back up to temperature. More thermal inertia than I expected. I fired it up with 3/4 of a chimney full of unlit lump charcoal, and poured another half a chimney of lit stuff on top. It worked out well, but the fire seemed to go down quick. Just a factor of lump I guess. Anyway, do you guys start these out with more fuel? I think I have it taken care of now, but it seemed earlier that it'd cool pretty quickly, and be tough to get back up to temp. I'm used to dumping tons of fuel in, and with the door on the WSM I can only do a handful at a time. Just another adjustment I guess. It's going well, WAY better than I thought the first run would go. I don't wanna jinx myself, but damn, this rig is pretty slick. I've had all 3 baffles open wide for most of the day...maybe I will add fuel a bit more frequently and close the baffles somewhat.
I'll reply once the food comes off. My 4# loin roast went on at 7:30 am, and the chicken went on at noon. I'm hoping for a 6-6:30 pm completion. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm also new to the Webber. I live in Minnesota and my first cook was the BRITU recipe. I don't know what your temperature is, but on my first try it was 19 in the sun and 13 where the WSM was smoking.

I took a tip from the Minion method where he says in very cold weather to use lots more fuel. So, I started two full chimney's full of coal and then filled the chamber up with unlit coal on top. Once that got rolling, I had no trouble at all keeping the temperature. In fact, I think I used too much fuel because I ran a little high after three hours and had to keep things closed off on the vents. And, I had enough unspent fuel to do meatloaf with just one chimney and a few extra coals and I was able to keep it at around 350 with no real issues.

My guess is in our weather, just use more coal. What's left over you can use on something else /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Art, thanks a lot! That makes sense, cold weather, more fuel. I just didn't know how the WSM would react to a lot of fuel (like I usually run in the Caj'n). I think I have it under control now, I will keep the fuel level up. Like you said, it won't go to waste. I'm sure we'll find something to cook with the leftovers.
It's actually a tropical 45? here today! Props to you for cooking in the teens, most people aren't that dedicated!

I usually fill up the charcoal ring and control the temp with bottom vents. It will run 8-10 hours without a reload. If I am only doing ribs or salmon or something with a 4-5 hour cook I might fill up the ring 1/2 - 3/4 full. I actually don't even use the chimney any more I just hit it with my brush burner, much quicker and more fun. If I want a longer burn I just hit the center of the charcoal ring, if I want instant cooking like for ribs I set the whole thing off. With vents at approx 50% the lid temp will settle down at 250 and run in a very consistant manner.

Theresa,

Here's an example of a weed burner, which I believe is the same as a brush burner. Maybe a brush burner is a little larger, I don't know. Guys use them to light charcoal, burn crud off cooking grates, light the backyard on fire /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif , etc.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
[qb] Guys use them to light charcoal, burn crud off cooking grates, light the backyard on fire /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif , etc.
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's funny!

And I thought convincing my fiance that we needed the WSM was hard, how do you talk your wife/fiance/girlfriend into one of these things? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Tim

Wow, I want one of those!

I *am* concerned these things are widely sold over the Internet with no regulation, though! Shouldn't things like this require passing a test first before purchase!? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Does that brush burner help during damp conditions when lighting charcoal?

I live in Eugene, Oregon - pouring down rain as we speak.

Planning on doing a WSM bback cook tomorrow, and doing some scallops wrapped with bacon on Weber kettle. All my Kingsford is a little damp that I have left in carport. I will ignite both the kettle and the WSM with the weed burner. Sounds a little like a jet plane when running, instant ignition - no waiting. Works great in wet conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back