getting wsm over 325 degrees

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
For high heat chicken halves, quarters or pieces I do not use the water pan and cook skin down for 20-30 min before flipping. The cook grate distance is far enough from the coals (I use high quality lump for these cooks) that flare-ups are not an issue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kevin,
I assume your bird's skin is just right when cooking this way?
Ever tried crisping directly over the fire, or is it not necessary when done this way?
Think I could get the same results using Kingsford?

--
Charles

You might be a redneck if...
You’ve ever ridden a bicycle without a seat.

Yes, Charles, to me the skin is just right. Usually I air dry but when I don't have time I dry well with paper towels. Kingsford should work fine I'd consider Adam's quantities upthread).

I have finished skin directly many times. You have to be right on it and move and flip as needed to keep it from burning but it works.

I have done chicken as I've described many times but only posted about it once (that I can find). The post is here and there is a link to a pic of the finished plate if you're interested.

Thanks! That looks too pretty to eat.
20 points for plating!

Just checked, and I have breasts and thighs in the freezer.
icon_biggrin.gif

We really like the flavor of the following marinade, shouldn't that be OK at high heat in the smoker?
I'm thinking maybe give the pieces some 'drip time' before cooking, 'cause when I sear on the grill, the Olive Oil causes pretty substantial flare-ups.

For 1 lb. of chicken:
Ingredients:
1/4 cup Olive Oil
2 tablespoons white vinegar
4 teaspoons McCormick® Roasted Garlic Montreal Chicken Seasoning
Marinate 30 mins - grill.

--
Charles

You might be a redneck Jedi if...
You have a cousin who bears a strong resemblance to Chewbacca.

Charles--

I would consider marinating longer. The ratio of acid to non-acid ingredients in your marinade is spot on for chicken. You could go longer without fear of making the meat mushy--maybe 2-3 hours if you've the time (longer if you want). Then I would consider blotting the oil off the skin side (if the drip time is too short).

If you wish, you could make a simple glaze out for your chicken as well. Squeeze the juice of a lemon into a small pot and add about 2-3 t of honey to that. Warm on low heat and melt in a t or 2 of unsalted butter and add a sprinkling of your chicken seasoning. Whisk to blend well. Paint on the chicken with a pastry brush when you have 10-15 min left on the chicken.

The name of this thread is just perfect to describe my cook today.

Weather, 60'ish, light wind, windbreak in place.
I followed Adam's guidelines, and poured 1/2 chimney of unlit Original K'ford into the ring, lit a full chimney of same and added that, then lit a full chimney of the New Kingsford, and added that.

4 breasts, 8 thighs, 4 fist-sized chunks of Hickory. No water pan. Started skin side down for 20 mins, then flipped.

Temp never got over 325°.

I even removed the door...smoke poured out, temp dropped. Replaced door, temp recovered to 325°.

The cook results were fine...all pieces done in roughly an hour, lots of smokey flavor, acceptable skin.

While I was waiting for the second chimney to ash over (which took about 25 mins), I kept looking at the bottom section, with all those lit coals burning away. I think I may have wasted some of my heating power waiting for chimney #2.

All in all, a good cook, but I may have to light a whole bag of coals to get to 350°.
icon_smile.gif

--
Charles

You can't remember what a skyscraper looks like.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">While I was waiting for the second chimney to ash over (which took about 25 mins), I kept looking at the bottom section, with all those lit coals burning away. I think I may have wasted some of my heating power waiting for chimney #2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Probably. If you can get a second chimney...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I even removed the door...smoke poured out, temp dropped. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Flip the door to that the knob is on the bottom before you start the cook (I have my door this way all the time). Leave the door in the unit but open it slightly (a half-inch to an inch or so) and prop it open with a piece of 2x4 or whatever you have around.

A second chimney is an option.
For this type cook, what about 1 chimney of lit, covered by 1 1/2 chimneys of unlit, and wait till all is ashed over?

I should have mentioned that I run my door knob down all the time. It's supposed to be my "secret weapon".
icon_wink.gif

On that subject, it doesn't make sense to me that if I take the door off, smoke pours out the door.

I would think that by increasing the draft that much, that I would see no smoke coming out the door.

Do we think it's possible that there was so much smoke in the WSM that it displaced enough oxygen to keep the fire from getting above 325°?

--
Charles

You've got more than one brother named 'Darryl.'

Charles
Because of the design of the WSM and using briquets (a percentage of the briquets makeup being filler) high temp cooks are problematic.
Lump charcoal becuase there are no fillers you can produce the temps you are looking for with less charcoal. I use a dry water pan, I suspend foil off the bottom of the pan (not a fan of burning chicken fat) if cooking chicken and crumple up some foil into the pan. Leave the vents all open a 100%. I had pit temps of 325 to 350 with Cowboy lump (was all I had, not a fan of that product). Other lump like Wicked, Royal Oak, Kamado does a better job. My cookers are protected from the wind, I live near the top of a hill above the Puget Sound and you get a lot of wind at times, the view is worth it.

If your going to do a high temp cook stock up on the right material and the job is much easier.

I don't believe you can get enough smoke produced in a WSM to keep the temps down, never give it enough wood to produce that much smoke anyway.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> is there any reason to use a WSM for high temperature cooking if a Weber kettle or other cover grill is available? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One very good reason will jump out at you if you try to put a 22lb turkey in a Weber kettle. She don't fit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J.M. Chenery:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> is there any reason to use a WSM for high temperature cooking if a Weber kettle or other cover grill is available? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One very good reason will jump out at you if you try to put a 22lb turkey in a Weber kettle. She don't fit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, with my rotisserie ring in place I can get anything short of a ostrich on my kettle.
icon_wink.gif

Originally I find that 18 pounds was the biggest turkey I could get in the kettle with the rotiserie ring. Lately I have found that I can get a 20 pound bird in, if I truss it with string! Keeping the temp up is no problem. No hot spots on the bird. Skin is to die for! The thing cooks 2 big chickens with no problem. Really takes the hassle out of poulrty. Added benefit, folks will actually clap for you when they see you walking by with two smoking chickens on the spit!

Back