Genesis Gold C Restore

Chi M

So my buddy gave me a free grill he had laying around. I believe it is a Genesis Gold C 2000-2001 series. All the info was washed off the little sticker. After much research I came to the conclusion that it is the Genesis Gold C 2000-2001. The outside wasn't in too bad shape, it was the inside that needed some love.

As of now the parts I've ID'ed for replacement are:

flavorizer bars (will replace with the thicker ebay SS bars)
burner set
grates
thermometer
main ignitor
warming rack & basket
all hardware will be replaced with ss hardware
new paint for frame, outside of flamebox and lid end caps

I figured all the parts will cost right around $200, which is not bad considering a brand new grill like this would cost twice as much.

Here are some pictures. Sorry for the bad pics.

2mp5.jpg

49mv.jpg

7g61.jpg

Took her apart and gave her a good cleaning.

3dil.jpg

ez44.jpg

t1y4.jpg

gp8m.jpg

Question: How do I get the Weber decal all nice and shiny again? Will some fine steel wool work?

Last edited:
I've restored a handful of gassers this spring and that's a nice one! Take a 7/16 wrench and remove the end cap 'nuts' from the lid. It'll make painting & cleaning the lid pieces a lot easier. Should have 2 nuts on the back of the WEBER emblem also. With the emblem removed, polishing is a lot easier. You can go as-is, or paint it black first. Literally, just shoot it with gloss black paint. Then put various grits of sandpaper on a flat work bench. Run the emblem back-n-forth in th same direction over the various grits working your way up to 400 grit. Pretty sure you'll be happy with the outcome. :)

Thanks! I'll have to try that. As for the paint for the frame & end caps, what finish do you recommend? Tryed searching the forums with very little luck. I'm guessing either a flat or satin finish.

Don't get over enthusiastic with the replacement - she looks pretty good to go. Get her hot and see what actually NEEDS replacing. My Silver B looks much the same when I don't use her - but a bit of use and its just a cosmetic clean that's needed.
PS If the igniter is still sparking but doesn't light the gas try a section of tuna can to reform the housing that directs the gas into the spark - a good fix for next to nothing which is fresh in my mind.

Here's what she looks like now. Just waiting on thermometer (old one didn't work).

Still having issues getting the side burner to work. I can light it with a match but not with igniter. The igniter creates a spark but won't light. Cleaned and adjusted the electrode and still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

xnty.jpg

New grates, z bars, burners and igniter.
tb42.jpg

2td9.jpg

afvx.jpg

Last edited:

Back