Genesis EP-310 battery replacement

John L.

TVWBB Member
I thought some here would be interested, or at least entertained, that last night I had to change the battery in my EP-310 for the FIRST TIME. The grill has lived outside since it was delivered. I don't recall off hand what year it was, but I know the Genesys II came out the next year, so I believe it was 2016. I know it was around Father's Day and there was $100 off, which is why I decided to snag it at my local appliance store.

The battery had practically fallen apart in the holder. Weber's decision to have the negative side facing outward actually helped with clean-up and may have prevented damage. So 8 years out of a generic AA battery, outdoors in NJ all that time. Pretty lucky I would say!

I would say that's pretty impressive. I know the batteries in my garage door keypads never last that long. More grill related was the piezo igniter on my original 1998 Genesis that still worked perfectly at 25 yrs. when I tore the grill down for restoration. I replaced it with a brand new one anyway.

The Q320 I had gotten from Bruce, had LiIon batteries in it. AA size. Been a long time I've had it. Igniter and grill ight still working fine. ANd who knows how long those batteries were in it before I acquired it from Bruce. I would not be surprised if they're 15 yo

Seems kind of hit an miss. Lithium batteries are probably a good choice for those electronic ignitions. But, getting anything close to ten years out of a regular alkaline battery is phenomenal. I am sure that a lot of people put crappy dollar store batteries in them and wonder why they only last a year or two or even wind up falling apart and corroding inside the igniter and destroying it.

I think lithium batteries are well worth it for this application and for use in things like instant read thermometers, etc.

Back