gaskets

LOL, Jay, my son busted me out for wearing socks with sandals this evening (when I slipped the sandals on to go out & tend the grill), so I enjoyed your pic :)

Mark,thats how I roll,lol,it drives my wife and kids crazy that I wear sandals from about March/April to about November

The gasket kit worked on my 18.5, but my 22.5 door was apparently too jacked up for the gasket to fix the problem. I have a Cajun Bandit door & compression latch in the mail to fix the door problem on the 22.5. From what I've read, a decent number of folks with the CB doors and compression latches are doing well without the gasket, so you might weight the pros and cons of the two different fixes and whether one might fix the issue without having to do both.

Mark,I did the gaskets around the door for good measure,I figured it couldnt hurt and the comp latch with that cajun door its air tight,your gonna love the mods

Only difference I did is that I stuck the door gasket on the inside of the door. This makes sure that it is not visible... Between a gentle bear hug to my middle section, adding the upper / lower / door gaskets, and changing to the compression lock, my 22.5" is sealed pretty tight. Barely any smoke except from the top vent and it's thin and blue...

Yeah that does look nice. I am in the process of choosing mods for both of mine. I have hinges and now is the time to add these maybe.

The CB door and compression latch are working GREAT. The door went from being a smoke stack to being virtually airtight. I haven't seen even the slightest hint of smoke escape from the door since I added the CB door and compression latch. I don't know how much the gasket is contributing to that, but it wasn't enough to make the OEM door serviceable.

I know what you mean Mark, I could not be happier with my mods,I think the door,latch and gaskets are a MUST on the wsm's.

I just received the gasket kit for my 22.5, do you have a recommendation for a powerful food grade degreaser? I have quite a bit of cleaning to do prior to installation. I want to ensure a secure fit.

I just received the gasket kit for my 22.5, do you have a recommendation for a powerful food grade degreaser? I have quite a bit of cleaning to do prior to installation. I want to ensure a secure fit.

sorry Chris,I dont know what to recommend as far as a degreaser,maybe an oven cleaner

sorry Chris,I dont know what to recommend as far as a degreaser,maybe an oven cleaner
Yeah oven cleaner.
BUT KEEP IT AWAY FROM ALL ALUMINUM PARTS !
Wash off with dish detergent and warm water.

If you have the OCD revved up, then do the final wipe with rubbing alcohol 91%.

Purchased the bbq gasket .com option for WSM 22.5, Used oven cleaner, worked well but this was quite a project. My smoker had only been used 10-14 times and the build up was burnt on for sure. I wish I would have just installed when the smoker was new. After 4 rounds of carefully sprayed oven cleaner and using plastic putty applicator for scraping it was ready for the Acetone. I found the food grade adhesive to hold well but i may have been a little sloppy applying, my advice would be to take yor time. I applied the gasket to lid rim, bottom,and door. I am letting it cure today and will fire it up tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

I've only cooked on my WSM one time and I noticed very little smoke escaping (I figure this will only improve with time as the smoker gets seasoned). There was just a little, every once in a while, leaking from the door. Absolutely no leaks around the top and bottom of the middle section. Maybe the 2014 WSMs are sealed a little better?

Hey guys. Wife just told me that she ordered me a new wsm 22.5 for Father's Day next week. This will be my first wsm. Been cooking on a genesis for several years and bouncing off the walls for true smoke. I was thinking about doing this mod when I get it. I figured I would like to cook on it a bit and season it before I decide if this is necessary, but also thinking it will be easier and better adhering to a nice new clean grill. What do you think? Worth the $30 or just season it up with a bunch of fatty meat? Thanks!

any of you guys do the notch mod along with the gaskets? i want to do both but figuring out if it works or not...kinda sick of always worrying about crimping the probe wires too much.

any of you guys do the notch mod along with the gaskets? i want to do both but figuring out if it works or not...kinda sick of always worrying about crimping the probe wires too much.
I haven't done it yet, but if I did, I would notch just the vertical portion of the barrel lip and stop at the flat, mating surface.
Then I would leave a small gap in the gasket at that location to run the cables through.

With 1/4" thick gasket material you would get plenty of protection for the cables.
(I would do 1/8" thick on the door so as not to mess up fitment)

Last edited:

Back