Garlic soup

Lance

TVWBB Super Fan
I made K Kruger's garlic soup recipe last week as a test run for my SO's Halloween coffee and it was amazing. My SO made it for her Halloween coffee. She had multiple requests for the recipe. If you haven't tried the garlic soup it is a definite must. People who didn't really like garlic loved the soup. The key is to use low heat on the garlic in the beginning.

Here is the recipe:

I have been making this soup for over 30 years. It is by far the most popular of the hundreds I make. It was always the most requested soup in any restaurant I did it in.

I like to serve it 20-40 minutes before dinners will be served, in coffee mugs with a spoon. (Though the potato and cream give it body it is a thin soup.) That way guests can mill around the house or property while eating it. It is also great on a chilly Sunday late afternoon, on the porch, with a glass of dry sherry alongside.

12 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed

3/4 stick unsalted butter

1/2 c minced fresh parsley leaves (leaves only!--do not use dried)

6 c homemade chicken stock (or use a quality store-bought)

1 scant T minced fresh rosemary (do not use dried)

1.5 t minced fresh thyme leaves (or 1 t dried)

1 large russet potato, peeled and diced

1 c heavy cream (I don't recommend light cream nor half-and-half for this)

a turn or two of the white peppermill

1/2 c freshly grated imported parm or asiago

In a medium soup pot over low heat melt the butter. Add the garlic and turn the heat to very low*. Allow the garlic to sweat, stirring occasionally, 15-20 minutes, then add the parsley. Continue to sweat another 5-10 minutes.

Add the rosemary, thyme and chicken stock, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Add the diced potato. Cook at a strong simmer, partially covered, till the potato is very tender. Puree well using a hand blender or a conventional blender, returning the soup to the pot. Add a little freshly ground white pepper and the heavy cream. Heat till hot then serve, topping each portion with some of the grated cheese.

* The problem many make with this soup is cooking the garlic too fast and/or allowing it to brown. The garlic needs to cook very slowly so that it gives up its moisture (sweats), cooks through, but does not brown. This allows it to sweeten nicely.

If your low is not low enough either use a flame tamer or slide your pot so that it is half off the burner and place scrape the garlic-butter mix over to the cooler side of the pot. Stir periodically and, if necessary, move the pot on and off the burner so the heat doesn't go too low. The barest sizzle--if any--tops.

Kevin

I'm glad you like it Lance. It is a favorite of mine and--by far--the most requested soup I do. It always appears as the starter at Thanksgiving.

The soup freezes well--just freeze without the cheese garnish. When I'm home, it is a frequent simple brunch, with buttered whole grain toast, when mornings are cool. But I like it any time of year, any time of day.

Kevin,

No onion?

I already started mine, left out the onion (seems anti-cajun to me..lol). Man, it's hard not to deviate!

I am already getting the "I want some of that" looks in the kitchen

Nope, no onion. It's meant to be on the thin side, light with some richness from the cream and a little body from the potato, and herb-y.

See what you think.

Hey Kevin,
Does it reheat okay if you put leftover in the fridge? If so, about how long before the fat in it starts to go bad? And yes, I have some leftover in the fridge (no room in freezer at time).

I have a favorite family soup we make that has hamburger meat in it that we do this with... the floating fat layer melts back in when you reheat and the taste is fine even after several days in fridge. I didn't know if this soup would do the same with the butter/cream?

Also if making this in advance to bring somewhere- would it be okay to make it but leave out the cream and refrigerate... then reheat and add cream after arriving at the destination? Or would it just be way better to make it complete, then freeze, then reheat?

The butter will melt fine when reheated. Just stir well.

Yes, you can make without the cream then reheat at your destination, adding the cream at that point.

Wow that was fast. Thanks. Any guess how long it lasts in the fridge before it goes bad?

BTW- I liked it a lot. And my 6 yr old daughter said it was "the best soup ever."

Never mind, Kevin.

All this talk made me want some now. Just heated some up and it is still fine 4 days later (up late tonight). I almost think it's better than it was at first. Love the savory flavor.

FYI- it's a great meal with a grilled cheese sandwich in case anyone's interested.

I made this recently without the cream and with less butter. (Milk gives me congestion)

Turned out very good. It was thin, but I guess I could add more potates.

Bob

Kevin,
You recommend pressing the garlic .Are you referring to a garlic press or pressing “smashing “it on the cutting block with the side of a knife blade ? By habit I would do the latter knowing that in the end it will be puréed anyway. My concern was , sometimes there are simple things we do that may alter the outcome , I would certainly prefer to follow your recommendations.

Thanks, Rick

I meant with a press but smashing with the side of a knife works. (Smash well then mince.) What doesn't work well is simply chopping the garlic. Garlic's cell walls need to be ruptured for maximization of flavor and simply chopping doesn't do it. Pressing through a press does or, alternatively, mincing very finely. Mincing need not be as fine if the garlic is smashed first as much rupturing occurs then; the garlic need only be finely chopped after smashing.

Don't smash to the point of mushiness as too much water will be released, making the garlic more prone to browning (even at low temps) --something to be avoided. Smash enough to break/crack/flatten well then finely chop.

(If you have a garlic press use it; it's much faster as no further prep is required.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">meant with a press but smashing with the side of a knife works. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, Kevin, now you did it. Last 2 times I made this I missed the above. Now I am going to have to make it again and smash my garlic! BTW, this soup is soo good.

Going to be making this for Easter and I have a few questions. When I make chicken stock I put rosemary and thyme in the pot. Should I leave it out in the recipe? Also I guess this makes about six 1 cup servings? Sounds great. As always Kevin thank you for sharing.

Leave out the rosemary, definitely. If the thyme is light it's fine to leave that in or, if making fresh anyway, you can just leave both out.

It makes ~8 cups (the cream and the potato added to the stock ups the yield)

Back