Fri Night Smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt J

TVWBB Fan
So whats up all. FINALLY, a day off tomorrow
icon_smile.gif

So whats everyone cooking tonight.........Come on Susan........I'm sure your cooking something....and Rob O too..whatcha got planned folks?

Getting ready in about an hour to start a brisket cook. I did make one fatal error though. I learned a good lesson today. Never send the person thats not doing the cook to get the meat. The other half went to get the brisket at the butchers and even though I gave good written directions..........she let them sell her a 4 1/2lb Brisket flat.........fortunately most of the fat was still there except for a small part down where the point was. Going to put some back over the top of it to keep it from drying out. Never cooked something this small...any ideas how long one would expect a 4 1/2 Brisket to take LOL. Hope I got enough food for everyone tomorrow...thought she was getting me a Butt as well but didn't. Oh well..make the best of it. Trying some #2 on the brisket..for the first time......actually the first time I have used Texas BBQ #2 on anything.

Departing from the last 4 weeks or so of smokes. Chile Verde with butt tonight. Toyed with smoking it but decided against... Anyone tried chile verde with smoked puerco?

Matt

MattJ,
Smoke it at about 235° until it hits 165°, wrap it in heavy foil, and take it to 190° or so-- should take about 8 hours. Rest it in a dry cooler for about an hour. It will not dry out this way.

Grilled some rib-eyes and I'm prepping a 28lb fresh turkey tonight for Sunday.

Tomorrow it's back ribs (Competition ribs) with Honey Mango BBQ sauce.

Tomorrow, two butts, probably with Texas BBQ #1 on one, #2 on the other, just for a comparison. After the butts, a couple of turkey breasts. I'm cleaning out the freezer - we're moving in a few weeks.

Sorry to disappoint you Matt but nothing going on tonight or tomorrow on my end.

I'm taking the kids out to the North Fork of Long Island to go apple picking this weekend. I'm also going to see if I can get a friend of mine who owns a winery to sell me a barrel or two (the barrel itself that is) for smoking once he's done.

If we're lucky we'll be able to get some Peconic Bay scallops. It would be a crime to smoke those babys. They are so nice usually I just blanch them in some white wine and serve'em over salad.

Sadly the harvests have been dropping year after year. Hope we can turn it around.

Anyway maybe I'll have a chance to smoke something fast like salmon on Sunday. Next weekend I'll go for another bigger cook.

Good luck with your flat. Frankly I made the same mistake as your wife several weeks back. I gave up on smoking it. Ended up brazing it in sauce made out of Guiness beer of all things.

Thanks.......all

Gonna add a chicken or two tomorrow..since they only take 3-4 hours.

Shawn.....man...thats a nice size bird. I posted my adventures about a week ago involving a turkey I cooked.....I think Rob O remembers me taking about that one.

Greg.......I think you nailed it. Gonna have to definately just call Susan next time.

And Rob.....let me know how the barrels pans out. Gotta go fire her up in a few hours LOL.......gonna look at about 9hours for the 4lb'er Brisket...........with a 3 hr rest in the cooler. Even bought a new one to hold large cuts and MORE meat hehee.

Sure do remember it Matt. How did you end up doing it I forget?

Did you buy a bigger cooler or smoker?

Turkey was killer.......I did one last Turkey day in the oven using a slow roasting method........did SAME exact thing......spicys, butter, stuffed with halfed onions, apples and whole garlic heads.........put the butter and spicies up under turkey skin and over the skin. It came out great.

Got a bigger cooler.....the smaller one I had wasn't big enought to get an 18lb turkey in to rest.....found letting it rest an hour or so helped alot.

Got a 19.35 lb. chuck roll on at the moment. Had to saw it in two.
icon_smile.gif
Almost 6 hours in already. Should be done in time for Texas/OU kickoff tomorrow!

~Dave

Hmm.........brisket.......middle of the night and your up...you should cook it
icon_smile.gif

Me......I just figured out one of my OLD dig therms is bad..the OLD polder I have.

The remote maverick is working correct but the prob on the polder is bad.....dang....ended up putting the maverick in the meat and took the regular themometer that came on my Weber Genisis Gold B and stuck it down thru the top vent...least it gives a 225-250 reading .... doesn't need to be as accurate as the meat temp anyhow.

So Susan...hows it going....got a drink for me
icon_smile.gif

Drinking a few Amstel lights myself and a few gin and juices.

Time to go for a swim

My two chucks got up to 160ish a bit faster than I thought they would. Hope the trip from 160 to 190 lasts at least 6 hours so I can catch some quality shut eye!

Foiled em up and discovered (yet again) that I really need to get that whole process done quicker. This time I clocked in at 3m45s to pull, foil, add water, get em back in and slap the lid back on. Smoker temp spiked something fierce! I've had all the vents shut down for about an hour and it's just now getting to ~245 at the grate. Fricken' lump..
icon_frown.gif

~Dave

Well.. looks like I'll be sleeping light. In the past hour I've gone from 164 to 174. Where's my temperature plateau/slow down?!
icon_confused.gif

~Dave

Sorry to hear that Dave......

Having a few dumb probs too.

Mostly self imposed.....got lazy. One of my probs is acting up and WAS giving funny temps. I didn't get the temp AS high as I wanted before I put the meat on...so it dropped pretty low and took awhile to get back up. I normally put hot water, not boiling but hot from the tap....this time I prepped WAY ahead of time and the water cooled off. Last...I wanted to try getting a thicker smoke ring so I left the meat in fridge till I put it on and it dropped the temp too much. I'm at the 2hour plus point and doing ok now. WSM temp is 248 at the lid and the brisket is at 139. Gonna foil it at 165 since it's a flat so it doesn't dry out. Posted more PICS

e3ba.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back