Free performer

Dustin Flavell

TVWBB Pro
So was purusing CL last night and found an ad for a weber performer 20 bucks moving must sell. It was late so I call this morning. Fella was in the moving van and already heading to Alabama. Told him I was interested and he said if I pick it up today it was free. So an hour drive later and here she is

Needs a serious bath. The bottom rack holder in the front was installed upside and on of the lid bale on plastic holder is missing...other than that it is in excellent shape. Oh needs a fresh cooking grate too. But hey the price was right ;)

Can't beat that. Going to trick it out with some cool stuff?

Well :rolleyes: here's the deal. I already have a performer. I've added the grate system with the wok, sear grate and skillet. I also added a extra hook for the center grate insert and a spice holder (plan to upgrade the lid bale soon). I also rarely use it since I have 26.75 OTG which is my go to grill. Before I got the free one my perform has been used as a table next to a WSM or to start the coals for the other Webers in my fleet.

I've been scouring CL for some time in search of a beat up performer (hoping for an SS version) that I could salvage the cart portion on as a cart for my 18 OR 22 WSM (or both). I am seriously conflicted now because the freebie is in very good shape and everything works. I can't quite bring myself to scrap a perfectly good performer that works just for the cart.

So right now I have it all torn apart giving it a proper cleaning and hoping the Weber gods guide the right decession :) open to thoughts....

Don't know exactly what you have in mind for a cart. I made this one out of an old beat to death Genesis silver, a lot more of those around than performer's and very cheap if not free. We use it for all kinds of things.

carts_zpsiv7cbca0.jpg

carts%20005_zpslpf7xjii.jpg

S1035359_zpsq99wsu27.jpg

Rich that is a great and useful cart setup. I found a old beatup ss grill and made a cart for my WSM out of it extra coal storage and a work table to boot.
Now if I could just find me a deal l on a free great shape Performer I would be in heaven a guy can always two Performers right.

Rich thanks for sharing that is a really really nice cart. I have been keeping my eyes out for an old gasser to build a rolling cart to use with all my ques. My idea on the performer cart would be to put either the 22 or the 18 WSM in place where the kettle is on the performer. This would give the cooker a place to set and have the table and charcoal bin on the same cart. My struggle is the dog gone performer is in such nice shape I hate to scrap the kettle and touch and go start just to make a cart for one of the WSMs...

Rich thanks for sharing that is a really really nice cart. I have been keeping my eyes out for an old gasser to build a rolling cart to use with all my ques. My idea on the performer cart would be to put either the 22 or the 18 WSM in place where the kettle is on the performer. This would give the cooker a place to set and have the table and charcoal bin on the same cart. My struggle is the dog gone performer is in such nice shape I hate to scrap the kettle and touch and go start just to make a cart for one of the WSMs...

That makes sense as I would love to make a cart for my 18.5 WSM as I move it around quite a bit. The frame rails on the cart I built aren't wide enough to fit the 18.5 with out cutting one of the top rails and that would require a lot of redo to keep the structural strength in the cart.
I've seen a couple of homemade carts for the 22.5s and 18.5s on the forum but not having a welder and some of the tools required, out of my league.
Might clean up that performer and sell it and put the money away and keep looking until you find that beater on the cheap and use the extra cash for your modifications on it. I too would hate to see that performer chopped up, looks like it's in great condition.
Good luck.

That free Performer looks like it would be the perfect height to place a 14.5" WSM on the table without cutting it up and scrapping the grill part of it.

What did you tap the wood into? The metal supports?

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know exactly what you have in mind for a cart. I made this one out of an old beat to death Genesis silver, a lot more of those around than performer's and very cheap if not free. We use it for all kinds of things.

carts_zpsiv7cbca0.jpg

carts%20005_zpslpf7xjii.jpg

S1035359_zpsq99wsu27.jpg

What did you tap the wood into? The metal supports? Another stronger?

Back