For a Friend - Chicago Bears Mini-WSM

Thanks for the reply. I am planning on doing a two color design. The main color of the pot will be Blue and the design will be white. I had a custom decal made from a print shop to use as my design. I am not going to leave the decal on the smoker just use it as a guide as I am not a creative person!

Here is my plan
1. Prime, which I did last night
2. Spray two coats of white in the area I am painting my design.
3. Lightly sand any rough spots.
4. Stick the decal over the white.
5. Paint the rest of the pot blue.

After it has dried for 2-3 days I am going to very carefully peel off the decal to reveal the design. Do you see any potential problems using a method like this? I am using high heat engine paint. Did you paint a clear coat over your final paint job?
That sounds like it'll work just fine. :) If you're doing a 2-layer paint job, it's not too difficult. For mine, it was technically a 3-layer job (clear, orange, blue) and that made it really complicated for me because some parts used 3 layers and others are only 2 layers. Trying to figure out the sequencing of layers was the hardest part for me. Anyway...

I would recommend a clear coat, just to seal the edges of the blue that's on top of the white. This will prevent possible flaking/chipping on those exposed edges.

Last edited:
Yong- Thanks for your tips. I just put my final coat of clearcoat on my mini. Here is a pic of the final product. I posted more picture on this post if you wanna check it out.

Back