Foodsaver and Liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wade G

TVWBB Fan
I am looking at the various Foodsaver models. I think I have found one that will suit my needs (ie just seal up sandwich size helpings of pulled pork for a quick dinner down the road, so no need for the vacuum sealing mason jars and the like).

Anyway, I remember reading that folks sprinkle some rub and apple juice in with the pork before sealing and freezing. that way, you drop the bag in boiling water- -and they say it tastes as fresh as pulling it off the smoker.

Not yet having a Foodsaver, but reading the online product manual- -how do you keep the juices (apple and moist meat) from getting sucked into the vaccum pump and ruining it?

thanks.

Wade, you can pre-freeze whatever you are vac-packing or for something like juicy meat you can take a paper towel, fold it a few times and to the width of the inside of your bag, then put it inside the bag between the meat and the Foodsaver. It will blot up juices as the bag is vacuumed preventing them from entering the Foodsaver.

Another thing you can try is to put everything in a shallow tupperware container (no lid), then put it in the bag and seal it up. The sauce can't get over the edge of the tupperware so you don't have a mess.

That's what I try to do if I need to seal anything with juice or sauce.

Another idea is one that I've been playing with - you can now buy ice trays that make skinny "cubes" about 4 inches long, designed to make ice of the size that will fit into a store-bought bottle of water. They're probably about 3/4 - 1 inch wide and about 4 inches long. Since I put my meats into the vaccuum bag and chill them well BEFORE sealing the bag, to help keep juices in the meat where they belong, my plan is to drop one or two seasoned apple juice / beef stock "cube-sticks" (whatever liquid applies for the meat at hand) into the bag with the cold meat before sealing. Then, upon applying the "boiling bag" method, the liquid will have thawed and will heat with the meat.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

My folks save soup in their foodsaver .. I think they just hit the seal bar when the air is all gone. I don't think there is a problem with liquid entering the machinery.

The manual states that if your are going to seal juicy things or wet things to either pre-freeze or stick a paper towel in the top to prevent juice from enetring the vacum chamber!

If juice gets in to the pump it will be ruined...I know first hand as I did it!!
icon_frown.gif
icon_frown.gif

All of these are great ideas. My only question is, if you put the paper towel in there, won't it sop up any juices released from the meat during the whole "warming up in the boiling water" part of it?

Maybe the key is to pre-freeze, then vaccuum and possibly explore the whole apple juice cubes. that is a cool idea, Keri C.

I have regularly sealed london broils in marinade with our Foodsaver. This is a two person chore, one to hold the bag so that it is generally below the counter top and the other to apply the heavy hands to the foodsaver. Granted, the marinade is somewhat thicker than water, however, we have never had any trouble with more than a drop or two getting in the Foodsaver chanel.

I do something similar, but can make it a one-person task by opening the drawer below the Foodsaver-- one which happens to contain only kitchen towels-- and resting the bag on it. Nothing sharp to puncture the bag and only a towel to wash if I spill a little liquid. It can also help to use a little extra bag material, if you are cutting from a roll.

If you portion out the bbq the right way, the vacuming process will have ended and the sealing will have begun before the "juice" can make it out of the bag.

This might not hold true for london broils or bigger cuts of beef but it works for brisket and pork butt!

I have stuck a paper towel at the top of the bag when I was freezing blanced and shucked corn on the cob and it worked great! Next time I will pre-freeze those kernels as it will be much less messy!

When I seal something with some moisture in it, I use a larger bag or extra length on the roll. Put everything as far back in the bag and add some paper towels. With extra length on the bag the bag seals before the liquid gets to the seal I don't worry about using to much bag, because when I open the bag I cut with sissors along the seal empty the bag and wash it out to use again. I keep doing this til the bag gets to small to use again. When it's small I use it on something with no moisture.

John

I buy frozen shrimp when it's on sale. The shrimp is covered with ice crystals and when I seal them some of the ice melts and hence the water. Some of the meat I smoke already has bbq sauce on it, another kind of liquid. Fresh chickens have moisture on it when you seal it. There quite a few food that have moisture in them without adding water to them. Paper towels is the answer.

We have wrapped ribs in plastic wrap before putting them into the foodsaver. Done right, the vacuum can't pull a small amount of juice thru the plastic wrap. Costs a little more, but--. Would probably work for other things if not too much liquid is involved.

Tom

I just put the food with any additional liquid into the bags, flod the top over and put in the freezer for a couple of hours. Pull them out, seal and put back in the freezer until needed. Works great everytime!

Nick P.

SOunds like a great idea Nick, I was thinking about trying that as well.

Mom got one soon after I got mine .... she tried hers on a package of fresh buns but she did not hit the 'Seal Now' button. You can imagine the results, bread 'prunes'.
icon_biggrin.gif
. God bless her, but I hope it's not genetic.
icon_smile.gif

So, has anyone had experience sealing the paper towels in the bag? How did that effect the reheating of the meat? I would think unfavorably.

It seems the answer is either to vaccuum it on a lower plateau (like the drawer idea), or do a pre-freeze. I guess a little time in the freezer won't hurt it too bad!

So far I have only used the paper towels on smoked chickens. I did a bunch of them, then used the foodsaver. To reheat, I defrosted on the counter then dropped the bag in boiling water. I did not open the foodsaver bags to remove the paper towels before boiling. I noticed no adverse effects.

I think you will find that the foodsaver won't pull as much liquid out of the meat as you might think. Most of the models that I have seen have that little channel that will collect whatever liquid it does pull out of the bag. I'd consider getting a model with the seal now feature. That way you have the control to end the process if you think it is pulling to much of the good stuff out of the meat. P.S. I use my mason jar sealer way more than I ever thought I would. Works great for storing spices. I also use it alot to freeze soups and stews in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back