Foiling

John Swanson

TVWBB Member
I was just wondering the differences between pople on this topic. What do you use, what meats do you use it on...etc

Does anybody use saran wrap before foil?

I use foil on everything. I'm foiling two ribeyes as I write (only for 5 minutes). Butts, Brisket, ribs (when I have guests who want fall off the bone), I even let my chicken rest under a little foil for a few minutes.

EDIT: Maybe I misunderstood the question. If you're referring to foiling while cooking I recently did my first foiled brisket and in my case was pleased with the results. As I said above if my guests are wanting fall off the bone ribs I'll foil their ribs. Other than that, all my foile is applied after the cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Swanson:
I was just wondering the differences between pople on this topic. What do you use, what meats do you use it on...etc

Does anybody use saran wrap before foil? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I foil flats if doing a high heat cook. I also foil chuck rolls, that's about it for me. Now everything gets foiled once removed from the WSM for it's rest in the cooler.
Link to saran wrap use.

the only time while cooking that i foil anymore is if a pork butt or brisket stalls out on me.other than that i really dont do it.

but others swear by it.its just personal preference i think.

In the spirit of the current presidential campaigning...I foil my ribs because that's what the people want!

I think most people who aren't professional BBQ judges will tend to like their ribs "falling off the bone". The only easy way to get that is with a little help from a shiny silver friend.

I've never foiled anything but ribs though. I just let the butts and other stuff ride...it will get to temp eventually.

I generally use a 3-1-1 method on BB's, but somethimes 3-1.5-1 if the folks I'm feeding like the ribs to fall off of the bone.

I take my brisket flats up to 165* - 170* and then double wrap with foil to finish them off to between 195* - 200*.

I don't foil at all on spares and butts though.

Back