Foiling the pan

Chuck_B

TVWBB Wizard
So I have just started to foil the pan only. I use extra wide heavy duty foil but it's not big enough to fit the pan (I have a 22.5 WSM). So I need to use to put together. However, everytime I do it, liquid still gets under the foil and sits in the pan which I then have to clean. What are you guys using to foil that's big enough or what am I doing wrong?

This is what I do ...

1 - Pull off two long pieces of foil.
2 - Lay them flat atop each other.
3 - Take one long edge pair and fold them over about 1/2"~3/4" and and run your finger down the folded edge to crease.
4 - Fold 2 more times, creasing the folded edges each time.
5 - Then take the opposite long edge and spread out flat into one wide sheet.
6 - Run finger down seam to flatten and set the crease.

When taking the foil out, I don't lift it by the edges, just wad it up and then scoop the 'ball' out. I used to run another piece between the pan and seam and lift by that piece but found it not necessary.

Doesn't leak for me.

I do one sheet like Chuck then do another just like that 180 degrees then another 180 degrees, then 1 sheet starting at one side then another starting from the other side. I then add a small piece on each side to cover the gap from the edge of the pan to the edge of the foil.

All in all after a cook I throw away the edge and the piece below away only and redo.

Clear as mud???
icon_biggrin.gif

I use heavy duty foil I buy from Costco. It's wide enough to cover the 22.5" water pan using only one sheet.

I only have an 18, but when I have not had the wide HD foil, I have used the method above by Travis and never had leaks.

Weber should make inserts, it'd be worth it!

I run 1 piece north and south then 1 east to west.
I make sure to trim the foil that folds over to the inside is no more that 1/2" so the wicking effect is not possible

Originally posted by TravisH:
This is what I do ...

1 - Pull off two long pieces of foil.
2 - Lay them flat atop each other.
3 - Take one long edge pair and fold them over about 1/2"~3/4" and and run your finger down the folded edge to crease.
4 - Fold 2 more times, creasing the folded edges each time.
5 - Then take the opposite long edge and spread out flat into one wide sheet.
6 - Run finger down seam to flatten and set the crease.

When taking the foil out, I don't lift it by the edges, just wad it up and then scoop the 'ball' out. I used to run another piece between the pan and seam and lift by that piece but found it not necessary.

Doesn't leak for me.

So Travis the creased will end up underneath correct?

Back