foiling for boston butts

Jason H.

TVWBB Member
All,

If you do foil butts, how do you foil it? I do foil my butts as part of my recipe and while the majority of the time it works out great, there are some times when I pull them out of the smoker that I can get a tear (sometimes because of the bone, sometimes not) in the foil and then all that nice juice runs out and is lost. This is double foiled in heavy duty Al foil. Anyone else have that problem?

I don't really like to foil my butts but when I do I put them in a foil pan and then cover with foil. That will reduce the risk of a tear and will capture the juice. To me the "juice" is mostly fat and I don't want that much fat in mine anyway.

I don't really like to foil my butts but when I do I put them in a foil pan and then cover with foil. That will reduce the risk of a tear and will capture the juice. To me the "juice" is mostly fat and I don't want that much fat in mine anyway.

x2. I never found a need to foil to yield a nice juicy butt. However, if I did, I too would use a pan, and simply cover it.

I do HH butts alot so foiling during the last few hrs is necessary. A foil pan is the easiest to use, but foiling then placing that in a small metal sheet pan or the like works also.
I got to add me some of that De-fatted liquid love when it comes time to pull..:wsm:

Tim

I don't foil my pork shoulders , but I do cook them in an aluminum pan...best of both worlds.

I run mine in the smoker until 160-165 degrees internal temperature, then place in an aluminum throw-away pan and cover with foil until about 195 degrees internal and then I start checking for tenderness. When they are ready, I remove from the smoker, rest, then pull.

I run my smoker at 225-250 degrees for Boston Butt (nearly always "bone in").

FWIW
Dale53

I double foil, wrap in towels, and rest in a cooler only after they are done. I don't generally foil butts.

Back