Foiling; crimp tight or leave loose?

Chris in Louisiana

TVWBB All-Star
When I foil ribs, I tend to crimp the foil tightly to seal everything in.

I read an article on Serious Eats about Melissa Cookston's new book, and she gave a recipe and tips for ribs. For the foiling step, she says:

Place the ribs meat side down directly into the sugar mix, then close the foil over the ribs, but don't crimp the edges; you want steam to escape.

I guess that is consistent with the Franklin butcher paper wrap approach.

I never thought about HOW other folks wrap with foil. I assumed they crimped it tightly.

So, what is your preferred method and why?

That's interesting. I'd say when I do ribs and I foil, I do lay meat side down in a butter, brown sugar, and honey layer, and then I kind of just fold up the foil. I do, however, use a double layer of foil because it seems that I always manhandle that first layer and get a bone to poke through.

I do the same as CLasko...after putting them meat side down on the sugary bliss, I foil tight. I also use 2 sheets of foil to help keep the liquid in and also since I usually have a bone that pierces the first layer.

Dave

I've always heard to wrap them tight. However, Melissa Cookston no doubt knows her BBQ and it's definitely something to think about. I personally don't wrap ribs but this is probably a good compromise approach to keep them from getting mushy in the foil getting all your extra's on the meat and tenderizing.

I guess I'm confused because why foil unless you don't want to do a braise? If you just want to put it in a sugar mix, than put it in a pan or directly on a sheet of foil.

Tim

My guess is that it's one of those things that really isn't that sensitive. Even if the steam is escaping, it's still brazing the ribs. I remember my mom doing a chuck roast in an electric pan with a lid. The lid had a little vent in it similar to the top vent on a WSM only much smaller (about the size of a dime or quarter). So some steam did escape. I, like most here, have tried to crimp tight when I foil, but realistically, there's probably micro holes at every bone and it probably does not need to be sealed to the point of being air tight (which it will never be).

My grandmother used to cook roasts in an electric pan and would make this awesome gravy! We need to bring back the electric skillet!

Interesting discovery today.... today is the first time I've tried foiling (cooking a chuck roast) as I usually "cook naked". I foiled the meat after maybe 5 hours and it had reached an internal temp of 165F. I left it foiled for several more hours and the internal temp raised to about 200-210. I took it out of the foil and put it back on the smoker naked to firm it up again... 60 minutes later the temp is now 185-190 and the smoker has been at a consistent 250 (foil and naked). I've never had a meat drop in temperature while still cooking.

Learn something new occasionally. I'm going to leave it running and get the temp back up or wait until the meat is more tender. It's still just a tad tougher than desired - doesn't quite pull apart with no effort yet.

Yea Ken, taking temps while in the foil does speed it up as far as int, but that doesn't always mean tender. I do like you after 5 hrs or 165 or the color looks good and I never temp after the foil. Give it a squeeze or poke with a gloved hand after a few more hours and if it feels good than I'll open the foil and start probing for tru tenderness.
Why the temp drop? Prolly just a release of contained temps after you removed the foil.

Tim

Back