First WSM Cook

Tom Rotta

TVWBB Fan
Newbie here. After 2 weeks, I FINALLY got to fire up my brand new 18.5” WSM. Making some pulled pork butt for my first WSM outing.

Didn't have much time to shop around for meat, so I picked up whatever was readily available. 6.22 # bone in butt. I normally inject, but since this is an enhanced piece of meat, I used the injection sparingly. Also left most of the salt out of the mix. Covered in mustard then rub. Wrapped up in the fridge overnight.

2/3 ring of coals with 3 – 4 pieces each of apple and cherry wood. Lit using minion method. Water in the water pan.

Now the wait....

DSC00119_zps696c3056.jpg

DSC00122_zpsbd977495.jpg

DSC00125_zps49883ed1.jpg

Last edited:
Temp hit 254 about an 45 minutes in. Closed 1 vent and other 2 others down to about ¼ each. Maintained 230 – 240 all day.

6.25 hours in, wrapped in foil to finish it off. Hit my target internal temp at about 8 hours total cook time. Removed it from the smoker and let it rest in the foil for about 1 hour before pulling.

Pulled pork turned out good. I can't believe how well the WSM held it's temp all day. After a year of frustration fighting with the Brinkmann to keep the temp under control, why did I wait so long to buy this WSM?

Potatoes and onions in a skillet on the grill.
DSC00127_zps991c5f96.jpg

Pulled
DSC00129_zps32d6d373.jpg

Plated
DSC00130_zpsd2d2a977.jpg

Wholey crap!! Nice start! All looks ...really tasty! Great first cook! Something tells me you are not a newby to BBQ !

Thanks Morgan. No I'm not new to BBQ. I've been Q'n on a Brinkmann for about a year. New to the WSM and this VWBB though. I've been reading up on the VWB site for about 3 months before buying my WSM. So I had a good idea of what I was supposed to be doing. There is so much great information on the site and this board. I also have a Weber Performer and a SJS and because of this board, I've become inspired to do more grilling. My wife likes the idea because that means she doesn't have to cook. LOL

What a feeling it is pulling off a fantastic product like that p.p. I can smell it through my screen :D

Thanks for great comments. I will be eating leftovers today. I actually used a new sauce on the PP. The recipe came out of Myron Mixon's book. It was pretty good. Looking forward to some football and leftover PP today. ;)

Looks like a veteran cook to me, Tom. From your first pics, I was a little worried that you may have started with too many lit coals, but you had some nice, steady temps. And that's before you've seasoned your WSM with use!

That's some good looking pork.

Back