First tritip

Lew

TVWBB All-Star
Been having a rough couple of weeks and was really depressed this weekend. Then Sunday, my wife comes back from Costco with a tri-tip for me to cook that night. She had heard me talking about not being able to get them in GA, so when she saw them at Costco, she bought one.

I had never cooked a tri-tip, but I had read about the different ways to cook them. I decided to sear, then cook indirect at 350. I seasoned it with salt, pepper, and garlic.

10142760345_c3f04b40a7_z.jpg

I used my usual indirect setup.

10142763055_0187ffa177_z.jpg

After searing each side for 4 minutes, I choked down the fire to 350, put the tri-tip on the indirect side, grabbed a beer, and sat back on the porch. I didn't take any pictures of the meat on the fire since I was concentrating on relaxing and enjoying my beer(s). After taking the tri-tip off, I cooked some boneless chicken breasts for salads later in the week, then sliced the tri-tip.

10142845296_3d9b076acd_z.jpg

While the tri-tip was cooking, I had grilled some mushrooms and onions and microwaved a box of Bob Evans mashed potatoes. Here is my first plate.

10142846666_9275a7411f_z.jpg

I thought it turned out pretty well for my first tri-tip. It was a little overcooked because my wife does not like medium rare, but it was tasty and tender.

During the whole process, something happened to me; I wasn't depressed anymore. Come to think of it, I haven't been grilling/barbecuing as much lately and hadn't cooked anything outside for almost a week. Maybe I was going through withdrawals.:confused: Oh, well, thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Lookin' Good Lew!
Glad to see you back here and grillin' up a storm!
it's been a while...

I heard they fired the guy that your wife said his BBQ is better than yours;)
Serves the chum right:D

Very Nice Lew!! I like my tri tips simply seasoned like you did yours too. Nice looking sides too! Next time cook your tri tip medium rare, you can always add your Wife's slices to a skillet and cook them more to here liking, aka ruining a fine piece of meat. :p My Wife doesn't like seeing red in her beef either.

Well done on the tritip.

I was checking the underside of my weber the other day and came across this label. Caution this product has been known to cause good smells, weight gain, large spontaneous crowds, praise from family and friends, unexplained euphoria, and relaxation.

Who needs Prozac, we have Webers! If your wife likes hers more done, you can always slice the tri into steaks and
do yours medium rare and hers as she likes it. Enjoy!

Wow if your wife doesn't like med rare and she lets you cook it like that, well she pretty much likes med rare. That looks pretty close to med rare to me. Looks great.

Looks real tasty Lew! Grilling or smoking always seems to relax me even
if I am dead tired when I get home from work. Once the fire gets going my
juices get to flowing and I am refreshed!;)

If your wife thinks that is cooked more than med rare let her keep thinking that, it looks perfect to me. I remember fondly the day my wife ordered a steak med rare in a restaurant... brought a tear to my eye.

I love cooking the tri tip. If you like beans, there are some great recipes online. Beans, tri tip and crusty bread to wipe the plate clean makes for a great dinner. If tri tip is not available, other cuts of beef can substitute like boneless top sirloin (aka Baltimore pit beef).

Back