First time Stoker cook... Temp issues

JeremyC

TVWBB Fan
Hey ya'll, just got my stoker up and running for the first time and I'm having some issues.

I've got some ribs on and I set a target temp of about 250* and I can't seem to quite get there. I'm hovering around 235-240 and the fan appears to be constantly on.

I didn't have the hardware kit to mount the WSM adapter to the plate, so I had to run to home depot for a wingnut and screw, but i don't think it's as securely fastened as it could be. I don't see any gaps, though.

I've got a guru eyelet, but my pit probe won't fit through it without forcing the issue so it's just hanging out in the top vent for now. It's actually quite windy today, perhaps that has something to do with it ?

Make sure the fan part is UP. There's a valve in it. Here's a thread that shows how it should be positioned as well as a much better way to mount the blower using a Guru mount and a cheap copper coupler:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...?r=77110795#77110795

Also - I have the Guru eyelets and have no problem getting the probes through. Maybe you can remove the rubber strain relief, put it through, then put it back on afterwords.

-rob

Seemed my problem was the mounting of my fire probe... I managed to shove it into my guru eyelet and the temps went from 230's to around 285...

My theory is that because of the wind and the location of the probe just sitting thru the top vent, the wind was pulling all the hot air out of the top vent, thus the lower temp.

Once I moved the temp probe into my eyelet, I got much better consistency and reads...

Unfortunately, my ribs cooked at 285 for the first 2.5 hrs and made them a bit tough, but a good experience for my first stoker cook.

I already love it!

Back