First time cooking butt...

Rob Waxman

Hey guys,

This is my first time that Im gonna try smoking a butt. I got a bone-in butt around 7 lbs. Any guidelines of how long to smoke it? Do I need to foil it? Think its enough for 4 people?

Thanks for you suggestions..

Rob

I do low and slow. No exact timing........I start checking for doneness when it gets to an internal temp of about 190.

I usually do bigger ones and they take 10 hours plus at a smoking temp of about 225-250.

I never foil while smoking a butt. I'll use foil when it's done to preserve the temp if folks aren't coming for a while.

There's plenty of how to stuff on this site; use the Minion Method for smoking butts and you can't go wrong.

Hope this helps!

My 7lb butts usually go for around 7-10 hours at temp of 225-250. Pull when probe tender, anywhere from 190-205F. Never foiled it and it will definitely feed 4 people.

Cooking time is about 1.5 hours per pound of meat. I myself don't wrap in foil when cooking.

Allyn
22.5 WSM

Obviously, it depends on temp. 1.5 hr/lb is good around 250, but allow plenty of additional time, in my experience. If you're early, just wrap it in foil, then wrap it in a towel and stick it in a cooler. Letting the meat rest for at least an hour is good advice after any cook, but it'll hold up to several hours. I think you'll be fine for four people, but barely.

Back