First smoked Chuck

Jay Lopa

TVWBB Fan
I just got started at 10:45 puting on my first chuck roast.I saw a few posts on the site an say to my wife i sould do that this weekend its about 20 out today and a little snow not so bad were my smoker sits.The chucks are 1.5 lbs each i have 3 of them on(they are 2,1/2in. thick but have been cut in half 4th piece for some ground chuck) thought they should take 6 hours or so.Let you all know how they come out
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I did a single roast last night; 3.5 lbs and quite thick. Smoked briefly then braised in a liquid combo with aromatics, etc. Browned it first on the stove then rubbed. Temps ~350. Took 3 hours.

I'm guessing you're going low/slow, right?

Let us know how it goes!

Yes low and slow is how i smoke everything (around 230-240) Its going just right
icon_wink.gif
foiled at 165 after 3 hours

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jay Lopa:
Yes low and slow is how i smoke everything (around 230-240) Its going just right
icon_wink.gif
foiled at 165 after 3 hours </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same way I do chucks! They're done when they pass the fork test vs. temp. I start checking for doneness/tenderness in the 195* range and go from there. Once the meat easily twists with an inserted fork, it's time to rest the roast. In my opinion it's real important for chuck roasts to reast and cool before pulling. If done right, chucks are "heaven" on a plate or bun however you wanna serve it1

Just want to let you all know how great the smoked chuck came out.It came off at 206deg.let it rest for 40min. and then pulled, it was moist and tender with a great smoke ring. My family thought it was fabulous(I think my wife likes it better than pork)what does she know
icon_biggrin.gif

Jay,

Way off topic here, but where are you getting your meat from? I'm sick of Palmer's - they seem to only have select cuts and lately they've been pretty lame. Wegman's is too expensive, our membership to Sam's has lapsed, and the tought of stepping into a Top's makes my skin crawl. Just wondering...

Glad your chuck went well. It's something I've been wanting to try.

Peace.

Alan

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but what do you look for when you go to the store to buy a chuck? ie. name on packaging, thickness, etc..

Alan
I get my meats at BJ'S,Big M,L&R meats,Skips who ever may have the best price on what im looking for i do shop around
icon_wink.gif

Back