First smoke - St. Louis ribs & wings

EvanD

I was able to keep my temps between 215-255 for 4.5 hours during a few decent rains that caused rapid cooling and opened things up to full throttle. Full water pan of cool water from get go.

Ribs were salt and pepper only, wings went on with two hours left and got a rub of Sazon Tropical. Smoked with standard Kingsford, hickory chunks and basic Minion Method. Ribs were still a little fatty so I might let them go another 30-45 minutes next time.

Only extra hardware I used was a Maverick 2-probe.

Next time out will probably be half a turkey, small boston butt or a full size picnic.

CIrzT90.jpg

First of all your ribs look great! Your wings too.
You wrote about some fat survived in the ribs. That is the problem of ultre slow cook.
Therefore I moved from 225F to 250F as my basic cooking temp. Never less than 250F for BBQ.
outer /inner fat in my ribs, boston butt and brisket melts much much better!
This is my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback!

@Enrico - I'll give that a shot next time, might make things even simpler.

EvanD;
Great first effort! I use Harry Soo's method and recipe for ribs and butts. I do BOTH at 275 degrees (Harry does butts a bit lower) and have been VERY pleased. The ribs and butts finish faster with NO downside IMO. I almost always foil the ribs but recently, just to do something a bit different, I did six half racks of St. Louis cut ribs (I use two Brinkman rib racks) from Costco (Swift Premium) and did NOT foil them. Just did them until they were done. The bark was excellent and while they weren't quite as tender as foiling were absolutely excellent ribs. I'll probably continue to foil most, but I must say this illustrated perfectly that BBQ can be done different ways and still be a "home run"...

I would suggest to anyone who is new to WSM's and smoking that they would be well served by downloading Harry Soo's pdf on this site and follow it for great results.

I prefer my ribs a bit more tender than "competition ribs" so leave them on until the tenderness is to MY (and my guests) liking.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?21030-PDF-The-BBQ-Wisdom-of-Harry-Soo

Just a thought or two...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Looks perfect here, I don't know what to reach for first, so I would probably got at it with two hands.

Back