First Smoke on my WSM! Bacon wrapped boneless "ribs" and smoked wings

DGibb

I had my plan together. I wanted to smoke some wings. My heart was set on it.

Then I read the Bacon Throwdown Challenge, and Matthew made what he called Boneless Rib Lollypops, which was chunks of rubbed shoulder wrapped in bacon and smoked. Well, looks like a two-meat day.

My maiden voyage on the WSM (gifted to me by my wife's grandpa, vintage 1989 18" WSM) was further complicated by weather. Not sure if any of you reading are in Michigan, but we got snow on the weekend. Not too uncommon to the area, but when it was pushing 60 on Thursday and dumping 4 inches of wet snow on Saturday in Livonia, I reevaluated my plan.

I smoked in the garage - with the smoker right next to the open side door, ventilated with garage door open. Don't worry, my CO detector sitting by the entry to the house never chirped. It was mainly to keep snow off.

Target was 275, but getting it up to temp, I overcompensated and had too many vents open and it was around 320 for about 15 minutes before I brought it down. I used some apple and hickory in the smoke, and it came out wonderfully.

tdBWfXf.jpg

Shoulder ready to be broken down with bacon waiting patiently

fN8gMUw.jpg

Pork portioned, rubbed, wrapped in bacon.
Pork rub: 2Tbl each black pepper, cayenne, chili powder, paprika, kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, 1Tbl white sugar

cqYKSNt.jpg

Rubbed one more time for luck

hc23gQt.jpg

First time smoking wings

acrzufU.jpg

Separated in to paddles and drummies (tips reserved for stock) and rubbed with spicy wing rub
Wing rub: 1Tbl chili powder, paprika, 1/2Tbl cumin, black pepper, kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder, 1tsp cayenne pepper

Stv1FSh.jpg

Pork on the top rack of my 18" WSM - Maiden voyage for me on the WSM!
Shot for 275, but mainly hovered around 290 with a single flare up to 320 (!!)

mFr928c.jpg

Wings on the lower rack

5giYHwr.jpg

Ready to serve!

hlN0klN.jpg

Wings tossed in buffalo sauce on left, barbeque on right

M2oSXzp.jpg

Naked wings for purists (my favorite way!)

Last edited:
Those look fantastic great job. Now pass a plate this way, you nail that one for sure.

Thank you very much Barb.

As I said above, this was my first time doing wings, but with how well they turned out, I will be doing them much more often.

Back